New to the Site

Squaring the action is a last resort when tracking down the 5 shot, one whole group. It does help, but its not necessary. If your rifle shoots great, don't worry about it. I don't think you'll like the price... no one does.... 250-$300

Although I appreciate your advice on caliber, I'm probably going to go with the .300 win. I've found a Remington 700 SPS NIB for $515. It's left handed, and should do the trick. I am still thinking about that stock though. I have a mouse sander, could I use that on the stock. I realize I couldn't use it for the "valley", but could I use it for the bulk of the stock. Also, is bedding the action something that you have done yourself? Do you kringe at the thought of me trying this on my own? The gun I am looking at has an X mark trigger I think. Can it be adjusted? I guess I'm looking for a little trigger advise also. Thanks again.

From what I understand the new X-Mark trigger adjustments are sealed with epoxy and you need to take it to a smith to get it adjusted. Might cost about $100? As far as bedding your stock, that might be a good first project for that stock. If it doesn't work out good, you are back to replacing it anyway, or just go ahead and get a good smith to do it. You might want to shoot it first before doing anything.

Montana, you're recommending I try bedding the original stock? Would you suggest getting a different trigger like a jewel? Or should I just wait to see where I'm at?

Montana, you're recommending I try bedding the original stock? Would you suggest getting a different trigger like a jewel? Or should I just wait to see where I'm at?

I have heard that the X-Mark triggers are good triggers. whether or not a Jewel or other after market is any better and how much better, I couldn't say. Maybe someone with experience can chime in. I've always done well with factory triggers, but maybe if I shot a jewel I would thing different. I squeezed a couple of X-Mark triggers in the store and they were very crisp, but a little heavy.

Bedding your stock sure couldn't hurt and I think it would help. I would do a pillar bed and there a some threads here on that. If you've never done it before you might try it on an old beater stock and rifle first. You might also bed the forearm to stiffen it up and free float the barrel.

I'm not sure how tight and well fit an SPS stock is, but my philosphy is always to shoot the rifle first and go from there. You just might have a tack driver out of the box. Your budget and time constraints might also be a factor in determing your course of action.

If you want good consistant accuracy, you are likely going to have to lay out some cash for it as well as time. That's why I like the Sendero, because they have good components and wokmanship from the box. Unfortunately for you, they dont make the lefties and that sucks. But you can get there. You can use this rifle to learn from, and in a few years have a good platform to modify and build from.

-MR

You hit the nail on the head. I guess the action will last a long time. So I'll shoot it to see where i'm at. Then as I go on I'll add to the gun. I'm sure knowing myself I'll want to change the stock as soon as i get it. I'll have to show some restraint. If I don't this thing will cost more than my truck. I'm addicted and I don't have the rifle yet. YIKES!

No doubt about it, Remington makes a fine rifle. But, since this sounds like your first Long Range Rifle, I'd suggest a Howa, Varminter Supreme (OK, Remington guys, howl N O W!!!).

I'd just shoot it, and get used to the technical aspects of accuracy. Spend your big money on a scope, if this is a dedicated long rang gun, weigh the pro's and con's of a fixed power scope.

A factory trigger will be fine, just read how to adjust it.

The Howa comes with a very servicable, Boyd Stock. If you want to upgrade, ask yourself what are you really upgrading for? If you want a custom fit stock, consider a "MrSpeedBump" stock along with the usual suspects.

Or a Howa barrelled action and get your own barrell and stock. The 7MM Mag action will easily accomodate the 338 Lapua.

Save your money and buy a good reloader, I'd recommend a Dillon XL650

In any event, good luck!

Get the Remington. It sucks you can't do the Sendero, but you should be able to make the SPS work. A good bedding job, a good trigger, and a good crown and you should be good to go. Most Remigtons will shoot...eventually if not right out of the box. Good choice to go with the 300WM it's a great round. My buddy and I shoot Ultra Mags, but honestly as long as it is accurate and you can put a quality bullet precisely where you want it to go, any of the flatter shooting cartridges work great. I didn't catch if you reload or not. If not, spend money and time there first. You will by far get the bigges bang for your buck. You can adjust the X trigger. Do a search and there is lots of direction on this site and the web, just make sure you have enough sear engagement to keep the trigger from tripping when you close the bolt hard, take off the safety, etc. I don't know anything about the scope you talked about, but this will definitely make or break your long range success. There is nothing that will waste more time, money, or a nice day than a scope that isn't repeatable and reliable. OK maybe a bad round of golf, but not much else. When choosing a scope, remember that this is going to be a heavy recoiling rifle and you are going to be using all of the adjustments on the scope, so it has to be quality. I'm not saying that Leupold, Nightforce, or USOptic are the only choices out there, but choose wisely, spend what you can afford the first time, and don't look back.

Welcome to the sport/hobby/addiction and enjoy the ride. If you have the opportunity to shoot at extended ranges, you will learn more about shooting in the first 100 rounds at long range than you have learned in years of shooting 100 yard groups. Even if you never take an animal at 1K+ you will become such a better shot at 500 and in. Best of luck and if you can afford to do it right the first time, do it.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts