New to LRH looking to buy a new gun.

gderr

Hey everyone, I'm new here (first Post) looking for a little opinion/advise. I own several rifles, but one I have very little experience is the 6mm-6.5mm projectile. I reload lots of .204,.223, 22.250, and then jump to .300 wm. Looking to start a new project something to fill in the gap between my 22 cal and 30 cal. Been playing with the idea of 4 rifles. 6mm, 260 rem, 6.5 creedmoor, and .264 wm. Now I also know there is a lot of ballistics difference between those 4 calibers. I plan to shoot a lot of paper with it (love to reload) and maybe deer/ antelope at some point. I also do a lot of predator hunting. Is there a caliber that I mentioned I can reload heavy bullet for big game and lighter bullets to shoot yotes. The next question is what platforms are the best I want to buy a box rifle ready to go (yes I know custom is probably better) and ammo and reloading supplies needs to be relatively available. I would love to stretch the legs on this too maybe play with a 1k target but most hunting shots will be 500 yds or less. Thoughts?

Thanks
G.D.

I, personaly , would go with option # 5....6.5 x 47L.

But of the 4 you listed...260!!

Why, I don't know much about the Creedmore. Trying to find 6mm Rem brass is like pulling hens teeth...it's just not available. 264 WM is TO MUCH of a good thing....hard on tubes.

The 243/260/308 brass is available, and can be gotten in the favored LAPUA flavoring!!

Just my .02

I would say go with a .260 also. I bought a .260 in a Savage Predator and it is awesome! I load the 140 Amax and have gone past 1000 yards on targets. I would trust this load on big game for a considerable distance (600 yards). The .260 is similar in dope as a 300wm with a 190 grainer. The .260 fills the gap nicely.

I, personaly , would go with option # 5....6.5 x 47L.
Trying to find 6mm Rem brass is like pulling hens teeth...it's just not available.
Just my .02

Really? I've got 100 that You could buy....6mm Rem I mean..

One of the 6.5's sounds perfect for your needs. Maybe the Creedmore...

Hey everyone, I'm new here (first Post) looking for a little opinion/advise. I own several rifles, but one I have very little experience is the 6mm-6.5mm projectile. I reload lots of .204,.223, 22.250, and then jump to .300 wm. Looking to start a new project something to fill in the gap between my 22 cal and 30 cal. Been playing with the idea of 4 rifles. 6mm, 260 rem, 6.5 creedmoor, and .264 wm. Now I also know there is a lot of ballistics difference between those 4 calibers. I plan to shoot a lot of paper with it (love to reload) and maybe deer/ antelope at some point. I also do a lot of predator hunting. Is there a caliber that I mentioned I can reload heavy bullet for big game and lighter bullets to shoot yotes. The next question is what platforms are the best I want to buy a box rifle ready to go (yes I know custom is probably better) and ammo and reloading supplies needs to be relatively available. I would love to stretch the legs on this too maybe play with a 1k target but most hunting shots will be 500 yds or less. Thoughts?

Thanks
G.D.
There's very little difference ballistically in the 6.5's other than velocity and of those you mention no more than about 400fps.

The .260 and Creedmore will give you great barrel life as would the Euro 6.5's like the 6.5x55 and 6.5x57. On the short end of barrel life is the 26 Nosler then the .264 wm. On the longer end is the 6.5x47, 260 rem, and Creedmore.

In between those extremes is the 6.5x284 wich is probably the most popular 6.5 in the US today. With the right setup, they are all capable of extreme accuracy and precision.

Between them all the most important consideration is the builder, the ammo, and the shooter.

A .260 in a 700 CDL SF would be a really good choice but of course there are lots and lots of choices out there to be had.

One gun that you could consider is the 7 RSAUM. Good barrel life and can easily shoot to 1000. Big enough to hunt Elk and you could also hunt coyotes. You listed 6mm in there and that would be ok up to deer sized game. I would go the other way from 6.5 and do the 7 RSAUM. Matt

A .260 in a 700 CDL SF would be a really good choice but of course there are lots and lots of choices out there to be had.[/QUOTE]

If I could find one Id buy it very hard to come by!!!

Grice gun shop in Clearfield Pa would probably have one. They sell up to 3000 guns a week. They get all the special runs from all the factory's; most times they are the only ones in the country to get them. It is a huge gunshop with up to 10 or more sales people working. When they run their 3 days sales you can't hardly get in the door. Matt

They stopped making them in 2008 and I live in Missouri and I don't buy a gun without holding one. Thanks for the info though!!!

I have a Remington 700 bdl stainless with a detachable magazine in .260 Remington and I'm currently sitting in my elk spot waiting for something to come within 500 yards. I shot an antelope at 485 a couple of weeks ago and have taken elk and deer with it. I bought it for my wife, but it is the best shooting gun I own so I either have to get her a new one or get me a new one

I have a Remington 700 bdl stainless with a detachable magazine in .260 Remington and I'm currently sitting in my elk spot waiting for something to come within 500 yards. I shot an antelope at 485 a couple of weeks ago and have taken elk and deer with it. I bought it for my wife, but it is the best shooting gun I own so I either have to get her a new one or get me a new one
I own a lot of rifles and feel pretty much the same about my 700 CDL SF in .264wm. It's just so pretty though I hate to carry it in the field but if I ever put it in another stock it's going to get a hell of a lot more work.

I own a lot of rifles and feel pretty much the same about my 700 CDL SF in .264wm. It's just so pretty though I hate to carry it in the field but if I ever put it in another stock it's going to get a hell of a lot more work.

I shot a nice muley buck when I was younger with a 264 Win Mag. It is also a consideration for an addition. I hear that they have a short barrel life. What is considered "short"?

I shot a nice muley buck when I was younger with a 264 Win Mag. It is also a consideration for an addition. I hear that they have a short barrel life. What is considered "short"?
Short is really a relative term.

With overbore magnums (any of them) and even the 6.5-284 if you shoot long strings without letting them cool down in between you will burn up a barrel in a thousand rounds or less in a lot of cases.

You can extend that life by just breaking the barrel in right, cleaning the snot out of it and then having it melonited but still, discipline is require to get the most out of it.

As a rule I never shoot more than three rounds in under two minutes and let mine cool back to ambient temp before shooting again.

Doing this has extended my barrel life far beyond what most would expect even with my original 7mm STW which is closing in on a thousand rounds down the tube. I thought it was probably getting close to the end of it's life and had a buddy of mine who's a very good gunsmith scope it and he said he would not have believed it had over 250rds down the tube just looking at it so it definitely makes a big difference.

Shoot them hot and you can easily burn a barrel out in 500rds or less.