Looking for a new elk gun

buckbrush

I think I have my mind made up that I want a 300 WSM that will shoot 200 gr Accubonds or something in that arena. I have no idea what gun to go with though. I don't have a problem packing a heavier gun around. What's most important to me is something that will shoot well out of the box.

My spending cap is about $700.00.

Any advice?

Thanks.

I'd personally get a Savage with an Accutrigger. Mine shoots under 1/2" with 180 gr accubonds at nearly 3000fps. Shoots around 3/4" with the 200gr AB's.

AJ

The area we hunt offers shots of 50 yards to as far as we are willing to shoot. I've been using a 270 Win for as long as I've been hunting. I have a 7 Rem mag but it's become more of a bench gun. If I saw a shooter at 6-700 yards it would be nice to confidently take the shot.

I really love the looks of the 700 CDL SF but it looks to be out of my price range.

Thanks.

What is the 270? is it a Remington? my point was, if your 270 is a regular gun(Rem, Win, Sav), you can get a "new" take off barrel from any number of smith's in just about any caliber you choose. put it on your gun, have the action trued, bedded, trigger job for maybe 400. With a little TLC it will probably shoot very well. if you buy another gun you'll put 2-300 in it to get it to shoot.

You can get a Tikka 338 win mag for $450 that would be a great elk gun at 600-700 yards shooting the 225 accubond at around 2900 fps. Also wal-mart has the vanguard 300 wby mags at $390 that would also be very good shooting the 200 AB between 3000-3100 fps. The $399 wby they advertise also comes in a 338 winchester. Those would do a very good job in your price range.

The recoil would be greater with the 338 or the 300 wby but with those you would have a legitimate 600-700 yard elk rifle. I would not consider the short mag in that category at all. With bullets up to 150 grains it can hold its own against say a 300 win mag. But with the heavier bullets it falls of the pace pretty much and in my opinion there is just not enough velocity there with the 200's in a short mag to justify a 600-700 yard elk rifle. With the perfect angle and perfect shot it will kill one with no trouble but I wouldn't limit myself. If I wanted an elk rifle I would get one that would do the job much more effectively and unfortunately good elk rifles kick a little. I would limit to quarter mile range I think with the short mag and 200's. I have been working quite a bit with my 300 short mag the past couple of months and it kicks with the 180's and 200's. I think the 300 wsm is at it's best with a 150 Barnes ttsx or similar going 3300-3400 fps. My gun weighs 7 pounds scoped out and the recoil of the 180 and 200 were to much without a muzzle brake to shoot with extreme accuracy at the longer targets. The 150 I could lay right in there at 500 yards. Went down a row of gallon jugs full of water without missing a shot at 500 yards which is way good enough for deer and elk hunting. I am shooting the 150 barnes at 3419 fps with H-414 powder with light recoil and like I said in an earlier post I could kill anything in Wyoming with it. The barnes retains all of its bullet weight making the 150 kill like a 200.

that 78 you have is a 700 action. pure and simple. just has a cheap piece of wood on it, great for hunting if it's stable. the bolt and rails can be opened up to fit a mag bolt face for any caliber you want. tune the action and trigger, bed with a new barrel and you have a new gun with a trued action for 400ish. use the other 300 as a start on the rangefinder you'll need. whala.

i agree with Ranger, the 338 is just an elk hammer. not sure who told you the 300wsm is reduced recoil, but i can assure you, it's gonna kick. a brake would be a good thing on either.

300 WSM Owner

The 300 WSM is capable of pushing a 180 bullet @ 3000 fps, basically the same as a 300 WM. Mine (Sako 85 Finnlight) will push handloaded 180 E-Tips @ 3020 fps and factory 180 AB's @ 3000 fps. At a conservative elk hunting elevation of 5000', it will put a 180 gr E-Tip or AB out ot 800 yds with well over 1800 fps of velocity and about 48 lb ft of momentum which is ample to kill an elk which several on this site have demostrated.

The 338 will definitely hit harder, but the 300 WSM will do the job out 800+ yds

On recoil, my 300 WSM kicks about the same as my 7mm RM ( a subjective estimate) If I put a slip on recoil pad on it at the range, I can shoot it all day. In the field, I dont feel recoil and if I did, I could keep the slip on pad on it.

I have heard a lot of good things about the Tikka's, but theor stocks are plastic and their rings don't have a good rep. Howa and Vanguard (Howa built) also put out some good rifles and the vanguard comes with a factory shot target.

+1 for the 300 WSM @ 800 yds

I respect your opinion and I like the 300 wsm a lot after having worked with it quite a bit now developing loads and shooting it long range. I disagree that it is a long range elk rifle. 3000 fps with a 180 grain bullet will kill an elk at 800 yards if the angle is right and the shot is perfect but that rarely happens in a hunting situation. A 300 wby will push that 180 to 3300 fps and gives it the punch to get out to 800. In my opinion the 300 wsm is a 600 yard rifle that does not have enough pop in the 180-200 grain bullets for long range elk and is best served with a 150 barnes out to about 600. Why limit yourselk. If you want an elk rifle then go get one and don't try to make a marginal one work.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts