New scope setup

Telecomm300

Hello all,

If ive missed the answer to this question in this forum I apologize.

I've bought a Vortex Viper PST 4-16 50mm 1/4 MOA adjustments for my 300 Win Mag

Vortex Optics - Viper PST 4-16x50 FFP EBR-1<br />(MOA)

The documentation says it has 75 MOA of elevation. The documation also says that it comes from the factory set to the middle of that amount of adjustment.

Now if I sight it in @100 and it's a an 1 inch high and left. So I adjust 4 clicks down and 4 clicks to the right. Now I'm dead on @100 yards. That's leaves me 34 MOA down which a total waste of adjustment that will never be used.

How does a guy properly sight this scope in without wasting all of the adjustments by starting in the middle of the range. I thought about going all the way in the one direction but couldn't this make sighting in the scope hard if I then need some of that adjustment to zero it at 100.

I hope I've explained my issue well. Any help would be great Thank you!!

You put a scope on your rifle and sight it in, you can't start all the way in one direction or another, you will have to come all they way back to where it is now to sight it in. You can buy a tapered base, like a 20 MOA base for example. This will angle your scope so that you get about 20 MOA more of adjustment out of the scope when you zero it because the scope is canted slightly. If you buy too large of a tapered base, you run the risk of not being able to zero at 100 yards. I would recommend a 15 or 20 MOA base if you want more adjustment.

As stated you will need a 20 MOA base if you want to be able to use the majority of adjustment for elevation.

Before you do that figure out how far you want to shoot and how many MOA it takes to get you there. You might not need to use a 20 MOA base.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.