Advice on my new rifle setup

Crop Damage

I've just acquired a new-to-me sendero II in .300 rum, and I put an equally new-to-me Conquest 6.5-20x50mm scope on it. Target turrets and mildot reticle. I've got a couple questions about how it should be set up.

The mounts I had on hand allowed the scope to fit, but they're pretty low. I have enough clearance between the front objective and the barrel to get a dollar bill between them, but its close. Is that going to be enough clearance to avoid somehow damaging the scope?

I don't think I will be able to get any flip up covers to work with this set up. Not enough clearance on the front end. Are there any screw on covers available to fit this scope? I see they make sunshades for it.

Finally, is there any way to protect the turrets from being turned while you're carrying the rifle around? I know they can be set to zero. Maybe a big neoprene scope cover would help protect the whole scope until I'm set up?

Thanks for any info.

I don't know if there are any screw on type scope covers available, I haven't found any so far. They would be ideal for me.

How much clearance should you have between the scope and the barrel? For a big caliber, is there any flex in the barrel or any way it could damage the scope if the clearance between them is only as thick as a dollar bill?

Thanks

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.