"Beyond Belief" scope setup question???

Re: \"Beyond Belief\" scope setup question???

GoodGrouper: Very well said. However, if I may add one more comment regarding learning ballistics. There is NO BETTER WAY TO LEARN BALLISTICS THEN WITH A .22 LR.

[ QUOTE ]
There is NO BETTER WAY TO LEARN BALLISTICS THEN WITH A .22 LR. <font color="red"> What do you know about Magnus Affect? </font>

[/ QUOTE ]
Love my two ACIs, need to order another. Twice I almost needed to use it this hunt.
I've had extensive debates with Dean Michaelis on the Coriolis effect. The end result: When you get as good as Dean you compensate for what you can measure/predict (Coriolis) - but very few folks are in that league.
What is Shadow Effect? Wind is by far the hardest factor for me.
If you're shooting at rocks and have the luxury of walking them in - forget Coriolis.
I'm going to take your class, but I want to do more practice and get better with all my equipment so I'm not learning the basics on the first day.
When I hunted daily with my 22 LR, all my pals were amazed with my 200+ yard kills of ducks, rabbits, squirrels, gophers, chucks. There is no sub for trigger time. I think the 200 yard shoots I was making with a Lyman/Alaskan 2.5 power scope on my .22 (no ranging equipment) were more difficult than Jon Berns 450 yard shots using his $5,000 rangefinder, BDC and 7mm laser mag. I think the two shot antelope kill my father got at 650 yards in 25 MPH gusting winds (using only optics for ranging and toilet paper hanging to guess wind velocity and me spotting) - using 180gr bullet in his 30-06 was also much more impressive than the JB videos. My current record is 717 yards taken at dusk with my slow spin custom 300 Kirby/Lilja/RUM and 155gr SCENAR (.508 BC) - Using my 3.5-15x56 NF with NP-R2 ( I had the illuminated reticle turned UP), harris bi-pod, bushnell elite rangeFinder, ACI - with all that equipment and no wind, I don't consider it a difficult shot for the broadside buck.

BTW, I have a customer outside bakersville CA that has a yote problem. Never seen so many packs of yotes in my life, and they aren't afraid of cars.

[ QUOTE ]
GoodGrouper: Very well said. However, if I may add one more comment regarding learning ballistics. There is NO BETTER WAY TO LEARN BALLISTICS THEN WITH A .22 LR.

[/ QUOTE ]Or in my opinion with a GOOD airgun. You learn real quick about crosswinds with only 12footpounds available and shooting out to 70-80 yards.

.22s and trigger time. Couldn't agree more. All the technology and money, none of it is any good without trigger time. No better way than the 22 LR. I might be a little more partial to the Mach II these days.
As far as Beyond Belief, if it get people involved in LRH its a good thing. I do think most people at this level understand there is no magic way to do things and the TTC are just another tool.
Scott

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.