New rifle recommendations

CStorer02

I've been out of shooting for a while but am renewing the passion. The longest range I've been on in the past was 300yd. I found a 600yd range fairly close and am interested in finding a rifle for it (actually I would love to go out to 1000 but don't know where).
I want to keep it under 2000 for rifle and scope if thats reasonable.
Suggestions?

The intended purpose of the rifle has a lot to do with which one to select. Also, there is the question of handloading ammo versus factory ammo.

If you put some geographic info into your profile we would know generally what part of the solar system you live in and not have to ask whether you are hunting eastern whitetails deer or Klingons. Any cheap laser gun is good enough for hunting Klingons.

Shooting at 600 yards leads to shooting at 1000 yards which leads to busting rocks at distances which you wouldn't believe. Depending on geography, you may never need a gun and scope that is capable of shooting past 1K. Also if the gun must be used to hunt whitelails in the swamps of Gerogia at 30 yards then it starts to limit barrel length and scope power.

If the gun is simply a paper puncher, then one of the new competition Savages and a good quality fixed power scope will get you under the price cap and there is plenty of factory match quality ammo in 308 if you do not handlaod. I have heard rumors that people actually use a 308 for hunting also, even though it does not have the word "magnum" in its name. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

A little more information will help with the answers.

By being very careful with costs, you might could squeeze out a custom gun for that price, certainly you could pick up a used one if you were willing to take a chance with somebody else's gun or knew the person was honest. The 40X I was shooting yesterday was a used very little gun and would have met your cost window if I had accepted the scope that was offered with the rifle and not put on a super expensive scope.

I put away my long range rifle for nearly 25 years before coming back to the sport and I am just having a great time fooling around with rifles and shooting just about anything that my crosshairs settle on and sometimes my crosshairs don't settle so I just make a lot of racket and call it a good day. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Anyway, welcome to our galaxy no matter where you are from.

I've added location SW Ohio to my profile. I'm new to the forum so forgive.
Paper punching (or busting rocks) is where I'll be at.
My hunting is pretty much limited to fowl, not saying I'm against hunting other game or never will, just never had the interest.
I used shoot and collect older military rifles, never much experience with newer high accuracy stuff, or gunmakers.

For an off the shelf gun, take a look at the Savage 12 F/TR Precision Target Rifle. I have not seen any reviews of it but the Savage rifles have a good reputation for accuracy and F-class is a lot of fun and you get to shoot a lot of bullets and the 308 has good barrel life.

If you would like a good price on one, contact Bill Bailey or Lerch.

look at my listing for the 308 remington vsf with mark 4 optics for $1800 only 20 rds down the tube and shots a 3/8" group at 100yds using federal gold match ammo.
Eric

I would keep my eye on here at at www.6mmbr.com for a good used straight 6br. That caliber is easy on the wallet to shoot, reload for and will work for great paper punching in the 600 and 1000 yard BR, f class matches and ground hog matches.

You can buy a good used savage 12 bvss or 12 low profile varminter, for around $500 or less, go to sharpshooter supply and buy a 6 BR chambered barrel for $300 and another bolt head for under $40. Buy the Ken Farrel 20 MOA base for $70 or the leupold double dovetail bases and burris signature rings and that will leave $1000 for scope which a good used one can be had for half that.

$500 left over for bullets, cases, primer and reloading misc.

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.