Rifle Safe Recommendations

I'll add in here a caveat too. My goal is to provide peace of mind when not home and provide secure storage for weapons/optics. From my reading, most Rifle Safe models can be broken into by anyone with experience. But If someone ever broke into my home while gone, they're probably not bringing tools. Just trying to grab & go. So secure within reason if that makes any sense. Then fire ratings... idk, something would be nice but to my understanding you may be asking alot of a safe to protect firearms in a house fire too.
Worked with someone years ago who had pros clear out their home while away on vacation. But agree its probably rare and random.
In your price range Id guess it would take some good tools and knowledge to gain entry, Id like to think anyways. Ive heard all it takes is a die grinder.
I don't know much about ratings, Ive heard to get one thats certified "residential security container" but that there are no other real security ratings, so I've also heard to buy the most expensive you can afford. I agree to get some kind of fire rating but those wont save anything from a total house fire.
I'm a fan of two smaller safes, easier to move around and you can place them in separate locations... if someone takes the time on one, they wont on the other saving half your collection.

Once you decide what size you need, buy a bigger one.
I've always heard that, but I think I'd rather have multiple good quality smaller ones.

Breaking into them would take more time than one big one, and they'd be easier to crowd into "closets" to make it even tougher yet.

Just my $.02 worth...

I've always heard that, but I think I'd rather have multiple good quality smaller ones.

Breaking into them would take more time than one big one, and they'd be easier to crowd into "closets" to make it even tougher yet.

Just my $.02 worth...

This is a bit of a theme now.

I bought 2 of these last year at an atwoods
( tractor supply type store in Oklahoma). I needed the height for a couple of my longer barreled rifles. I only shoot suppressed and have a can for each rifle I shoot. I don't like taking them off unless they are getting cleaned. I have all the rifles and shotguns I use the most in one and my older / less shot stuff in another with room to spare in both. I also have a browning 27 gun that my ars and night vision / thermal stuff is in. The only reason I bought fire safe's as apposed to just building a large cabinet is I couldn't insure any of it unless it was stored in a 60 min @ 1200° minimum safe. When I build my forever home in the next 10 years or so I'll have a large vault room to keep everything in. I have no doubt all mine could be opened pretty easily if someone knew what they were doing. I would hope my security system and 3 large dogs would keep anyone out that wasn't supposed to be in my house before it got to the point of them getting into the safes.

Attachments

• IMG_1037.jpeg
    IMG_1037.jpeg
    212.3 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:
One thing to consider with a new safe… they make some that has a turntable…much easier access to all your long guns

One thing I learned when shopping was pick a location that isn't easy to get access to the sides/back, and anchor it to the floor. There are videos (I think Liberty or AmSec put the video out) on YouTube on common breakins and how they gain access.

If they can tip it over, they get a big leverage advantage to pry the door. So use the floor and wall anchor points that come with the safe.

A friend of mine has his safe in a garage (climate controlled) but has a fake stack of boxes he sets in from of it made from a sheet of plywood with actual sides of boxes attached to the sheet. If you walked through the garage and didn't know, it appears to be just part of a stack of real boxes with Christmas decorations and normal storage. It's pretty clever. I don't have a large enough garage to do the same.

I like what was mentioned earlier on several smaller safes, I had never thought about that way. If they have to break into say 3 safes it's a takes longer than 1.

As others have mentioned, a vault in the house can be pretty cost effective and give much more room and versatility. I have a 12x12 block room in the basement that was originally supposed to be a sauna. I finished it off, put a couple safes inside and a small wall rack. All my hunting and reloading stuff is in there too and now I'm out of room.

Been looking at this system to replace the safes and gain some space. Might be worth looking into for you.

This What He Said ^^^^^^^^^^^^
For the money you will spend on a Premium Safe, you can build a fire proof room with heat, air con., dehumidifier.
I will never own a Safe.

One thing I learned when shopping was pick a location that isn't easy to get access to the sides/back, and anchor it to the floor. There are videos (I think Liberty or AmSec put the video out) on YouTube on common breakins and how they gain access.

If they can tip it over, they get a big leverage advantage to pry the door. So use the floor and wall anchor points that come with the safe.

A friend of mine has his safe in a garage (climate controlled) but has a fake stack of boxes he sets in from of it made from a sheet of plywood with actual sides of boxes attached to the sheet. If you walked through the garage and didn't know, it appears to be just part of a stack of real boxes with Christmas decorations and normal storage. It's pretty clever. I don't have a large enough garage to do the same.

I like what was mentioned earlier on several smaller safes, I had never thought about that way. If they have to break into say 3 safes it's a takes longer than 1.
Would love to see a picture of the "boxes"