New rifle recommendations

Brydawg512

Hello all,

Well, I purchased a Vortex Viper PST 4-16x50 that I have been planning to mount on my older, wood stock, Winchester Model 70. I am starting to have second thoughts about using this rifle for 600-700 yard shots on the elk, deer, bear and cougar that I hunt. A few members on here have mentioned that this rifle may not shoot accurately enough, especially considering I don't have reloading equipment.

So, my question now is what rifles are available for off the shelf purchase, easily modifiable, can be accurate enough for these shots, and has a maximum price tag of $600 or so. Also, what caliber? My current rifle is a 7mm rem mag. Open to recommendations.

I'd buy a h-s stock and reloading equipment vs buying a sub $600 rifle for 700 yards.

Or simply start with reloading equipment.

Good luck

Steve

Thats a tough sell at sub $600. Savage or a Remington 700 would probably be your best bet but you never know what you will get with a mass production off the shelf rifle. Id spend the money on reloading equipment or find a friend to reload for you and upgrade your current rifle with a good glass bedded stock.

Thats a tough sell at sub $600. Savage or a Remington 700 would probably be your best bet but you never know what you will get with a mass production off the shelf rifle. Id spend the money on reloading equipment or find a friend to reload for you and upgrade your current rifle with a good glass bedded stock.

Great, thank you. Now, is glass bedding my current stock suitable, or is an aftermarket stock recommended?

Great, thank you. Now, is glass bedding my current stock suitable, or is an aftermarket stock recommended?
You could have your current stock pillar and glass bedded then free float the barrel but I would find a good quality carbon fiber stock like an AG composite or Manners. Stocky's had theirs on close out awhile back and they are made by AG but Im not sure if they have any left. These stocks will be much more rigid. Then down the road I would look at replacing the trigger with a Jewell or other high quality trigger.

So I'll second some of the above options as far as trying some bedding options and seeing if your current rifle will do the job.

But if you need a new rifle one of the ruger American magnum rifles in 7mm rem mag or .300wm would probably fit the bill and pretty close to your price range.

Actually I just looked and Cabela's has ruger American magnum rifles on sale in 7mm rem mag for $549

So I'll second some of the above options as far as trying some bedding options and seeing if your current rifle will do the job.

But if you need a new rifle one of the ruger American magnum rifles in 7mm rem mag or .300wm would probably fit the bill and pretty close to your price range.

You might want to look at the Bergara B-14 series. Inexpensive and accurate out of the box. The trigger is around 3 pounds as well. I picked up a B-14 hunter in 7 mm Rem mag and it outshoits my model 70 easily. I think it's a good rifle for the money.

Actually I just looked and Cabela's has ruger American magnum rifles on sale in 7mm rem mag for $549
I have several Winchester model 70 rifles. All have been great rifles. I would suggest mounting the scope and buying some Berger loaded ammo in 168 VLD and see how it shoots. If it shoots 168 Bergers then start looking at upgrades to the stock and reloading. Nosler also has their 168 ABLR ammo that you could try as well.

I have several Winchester model 70 rifles. All have been great rifles. I would suggest mounting the scope and buying some Berger loaded ammo in 168 VLD and see how it shoots. If it shoots 168 Bergers then start looking at upgrades to the stock and reloading. Nosler also has their 168 ABLR ammo that you could try as well.
i've update the trigger on some to a Timney. Simple upgrade and a very good trigger.

I just bought one in 300 win mag from Academy for $499. I was in the same situation as OP. I've got an old Remington 700 in 30-06 that I was going to upgrade stock and glass for a big game gun. But I wanted a new gun so I bought a Ruger in a larger caliber.

You could try your gun I have a couple m 70 that shoot very well get some high quality ammo like mentioned and see what it does if it's good then spend the money on reloading equipment

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.