Rifle Safe Recommendations

Many years ago I had a customer who was a diamond dealer. He had me build a movable, concealed wall at the back of a very deep closet. Behind that wall he had a bank vault type safe installed for his gems and weapons. Very nice setup
Mike

Last edited:
Ive heard there are safes that put hardened steel bars every few inches inside the frame, so cutting open the sides is way harder and probably requires several cutting wheels.

It's all about slowing them down. We have a block walled in basement pantry. The safe is in a corner so there's concrete on two sides and bolted down. Heavily loaded shelves on the other side. Just enough room to swing the door open. Doesn't make it easy to work on. If we were planning on staying in communist Illinois I'd turn the room into a vault.

I like the multiple safe suggestions. I'm really not concerned with fire ratings as we have a fire sprinkler system in the house. Water damage is a bigger concern. My old safe has mechanical lock. I really prefer mechanical to electronic locks. Moving safes is no fun. The mover I used the last time I moved told me to call someone else if I move again.

Fire ratings are way over blown. Pretty much everything will sustain some damage or be ruined in the typical residential gun safe.
Safes typically have a hole in them somewhere, often for a power able or a vent, or anywhere that gets a hole punched in it to stick lag bolts/anchors. These are all means of ingress for the superheated air that is a byproduct of fire. Flames don't get in, but 1400+ degree air will get inside and burn or char everything

I have always thought about lining the floor of mine with fire brick or the thin fireplace backing to help with heat.
If I had the money and room I would have a complete surround made of something like that to hold heat back for a longer time.