New rifle and reloads

I will Make up some meaningless load to run some of the brass through its first firing and break in/foul the barrel. I will not get to crazy with the cleaning process. I've never done a break in on any of my other rifles before, simply because didn't know there was such a thing, and they all shoot great. Only accuracy issues I have ever had was with my win 70 7RM when I was cleaning it too much. Once I quit cleaning it so much my groups came back to 1/2 MOA. I will shoot 40 or so round through it before start load development. Thanks for all the help.

was out testing some loads today with brass that was fired about 12 times. I loaded 4 rounds of one of my known good loads to check for repeat. before heading out I grabbed 4 new unfired brass from my cabinet (thinking of this thread), ran them through the sizer and loaded same. at the range I shot them both front and back of my testing a new bullet. both shot in the node and real close to same size group.

my experience has been if i change to new brass that is of another brand or maybe same brand but noticeably different in hardness or thickness then yes, i will see some change in accuracy. on the other hand, if i change to new brass of the same lot that i had been using then no, i havnt seen change in velocity or accuracy. last year i had an experience of my groups opening up somewhat in a 6.5. i had started out with what i would say was descent brass. as it wore out i changed to a new batch. things were going well and suddenly after 3 reloading's my accuracy was diminishing. i adjusted my load to find i couldn't get it any better than what i was shooting. someone on this forum had talked about brass issues and it sounded similar to my problem. i ordered and started using a high quality brass. my groups were back in to the best they had been and the powder charge was the same. when i start loading new brass from that batch, i don't see any difference between the first firing and the second. im definitely not saying that it doesn't happen but the 2 rifles i have been working with this year has stayed in the node. i have though read many posts of people warning about first firings, and i wont doubt it because that is when the brass will expand the most. hope it shoots good for you and you don't have to chase the node.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.