howa rifle and reloads for it with a 24in barrel

red dawg

Hey guy's out there that reload for the 308, using 165 grn , more than likely a nosler bullet, its for a in law, I have access to all 4350 powders can someone give me some idea's ? or maybe a different powder that works better with a 165 bullet?

Varget. Shoot the 168gn gold medal match load in the rifle in question. If it shoots that well you have a starting point for seating depth and powder weight. Play up and down .02 in powder weight and .010 up and down with seating. RL 15 and the new 16(supposed temp stability and a decoppering agent)
8208 is another stellar powder in the midweight bullets

Hey T C , what kind of charge or grns of powder do you use? I also have varget

Never assume one persons load is satisfactory in your own rifle. Work up from a safe load using information from a good manual. Varget is a common powder for the .308 winchester. Reputable information is not hard to find.

Now that the disclaimers are out of the way, Nosler shows a starting charge of 42 gns with Varget and a max charge of 46 gns with a muxzle velocity of 2662 for the former, and a muzzle velocity of 2820 for the latter.

COAL 2.800

All with Fed210 primers of course

Never assume one persons load is satisfactory in your own rifle. Work up from a safe load using information from a good manual. Varget is a common powder for the .308 winchester. Reputable information is not hard to find.

Now that the disclaimers are out of the way, Nosler shows a starting charge of 42 gns with Varget and a max charge of 46 gns with a muxzle velocity of 2662 for the former, and a muzzle velocity of 2820 for the latter.

COAL 2.800

All with Fed210 primers of course

Good info, the H4350 can work with the 180's and up. We've found Varget to be very accurate with the 165-168 gr. bullets and had excellent 200 yd. groups with the 185 Berger as well in Savage and Vanguard/Howa rifles. Good luck

Hey T C , what kind of charge or grns of powder do you use? I also have varget

My rifle likes 45g with my 150g NBT's 10 thousandths off the lands. Chrono said it was running 2730. I ran it up yo 47g but groups went from.25" to 3" real fast. 165 Accubonds were good to, just not quite as accurate. 3/4-1" groups.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts