New rifle and reloads

I just shoot them, 20 rounds and the barrel settles in and tightens up. Then maybe another 20 and a cleaning with a little sweets 7.62. Take a look at what comes out . Then get after it again. I'm not a bench rest shooter. I do not own a rifle that shoots more than 1 moa.

I found a bunch of 28 nosler loaded ammo for cheap and shot it to break in when brass was hard to find. Very little cleaning, maybe every 20 rounds. With new brass I load up different stuff from the beginning because it will show you promising loads that require little tweaking. I'm building a 300wsm here soon and will post how loads change from shot 1 thru 50. Good luck and keep us posted!

Thanks for all the info guys. Barrel break in seems to be a very opinionated topic. Some are very diligent in doing a strict process and others just shoot with minimal cleaning. Either way I guess I will make my decision and just do it. I guess the only thing that will be wasted is time with the way that is explained on the savage site. when I got my model 70 7mm 20 years ago I had no idea about barrel break in and just shot. I'm getting slightly over 1/2 MOA groups with it today. For a hunting rifle I am more than happy with that.

The whole topic of barrel break in has been all over the place in opinion of what should be done. And I believe it all has to do with how rough the new throat is & how smooth your lands & grooves are. Ask 10 different people about barrel break in and you might get 10 different answers. Some answers will be similar and some not so similar.
Thanks for all the info guys. Barrel break in seems to be a very opinionated topic. Some are very diligent in doing a strict process and others just shoot with minimal cleaning. Either way I guess I will make my decision and just do it. I guess the only thing that will be wasted is time with the way that is explained on the savage site. when I got my model 70 7mm 20 years ago I had no idea about barrel break in and just shot. I'm getting slightly over 1/2 MOA groups with it today. For a hunting rifle I am more than happy with that.
I really like savage rifles cause they tend to shoot well and you can do just about anything that you want to with them easily.

I have a savage 12fv cabelas special. Got a steal on black Friday 2 years ago. Rifle shoots fantastic. I did the one shot clean for 5 rounds then started shooting groups and cleaning. I bought factory hornady for the break in and then reloaded the brass. I know its not lapua but the rifle has been a solid 1/2 moa with the 140 eldm and H4350 federal gm match primers. You can use new brass for break in load development but you will have to adjust after fire forming. I would start with 50 rounds.

That's the gun and reloading components that I have except for I have the eld match 147 grain as nd have new hornady brass. I will eventually get a MDT chassis system for it. Looking forward to shooting it's I have heard nothing but good about it

ive taken new brass and run different powder charges through it to find accuracy nodes in rifles then repeated the groups again with the same powder charge the second reloading. I don't feel its a waste of time. the other option would be to just load meaningless charges to expand the brass. the only time I do this is to foul the barrel.

Don't forget: Virgin brass expands after one firing. It will expand less in subsequent firings. So initial loads should not be max from any reloading book.

Savage 12 in 6.5 creedmoor. I want to use it for playing with some medium to long range shooting and hunting
What did Savage suggest for break-in? On barrels that are hand lapped I don't do any special break-in and never had an issue. Both Heart , Brux and Proof said to me just go shoot it.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts