New to rifle reloading, and want to keep it methodical...help

chutestrate

I am working with a Swede M38 and trying to work up some accurate loads for it. I'm using 3 brands of 140 grain bullet, and two different powders, IMR 4831, and Varget. I had decent hunting accuracy with one type of bullet, and another that was really good for me. I had 4 holes touching each other at 100yds. I had 10 rounds of each bullet loaded over the same amount of powder, for a total of 60 rds. What is the first thing to start changing to tighten accuracy. I'm thinking powder, maybe in .25 grain increments.

I'm new to rifle reloading, and want to keep this methodical.

Thank you in advance for the help.

you have 4 touching at 100 yards, that is great. Was that 4 shot group consistant or a fluke? If you are consistantly putting 4 shots together at 100 yards then you have a good load, try it at 200 and see how it works.

I'm pretty sure it is going to be consistent. If it is I'll stick with it. I have a bunch of other bullets that didn't group as nicely. Any suggestions for what to change next?

i usually start out with a few different projectiles in the weight range i would like to make work, and start in the midrange/upper midrange of lyman data for powder charge, and go up, checking for pressure signs. at some point, accuracy usually opens back up. then i usually start fooling with c.o.a.l. different guns respond very differently to a "jump" to the rifling. some of them like it very close, some of them like it far away. it gives you a bunch of different recipes to try (always a good excuse for lots more shooting!).

good luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts