New Mobile Ballistics Calculator

Bryan,
How does the 3 wind zones work? Does it divide your total distance into thirds? Or can you imput where these separate wind zones occur?

It divides the range into 3 equal zones, automatically.

For example, on a 900 yard shot, zone 1 applies over 0-300 yards. Zone 2 applies from 301 to 600 yards. Zone 3 applies from 601 to 900 yards.

The range breakpoints are not adjustable, it's always 1/3's.

-Bryan

Nape,

MOBALL does correct for the effects of altitude via the station pressure input. This is where you would input the pressure that's measured by a device like a Kestrel.

MOBALL also includes a utility program that allows you to calculate your station pressure based on your altitude if you don't have a device to measure station pressure.

Detailed instructions on how to handle altitude and pressure are included in the user manual.

-Bryan

Bryan, does it allow to use metric units( meters)?
Or combine metric and imperial ( i.e. vel in fps, distance/range in meters?

And.. output is for a specific distance, or can it draw a range card?

Thanks

Alg,

MOBALL is set up to accept imperial units.

Most devices that you would use to measure variables in the field (atmospherics and range) can be configured to output in imperial units. Worse case scenario, you may have to convert. This is no problem because the TI Voyage is powerful graphing calculator with the ability to perform conversions easily.

MOBALL does not output tables (range cards). It outputs sight adjustments only for the range you specify. There are many PC programs that output tables that you can print from your computer. MOBALL is intended to accept the specific field variables that are present for a particular shot, and calculate a custom solution for that shot only.

-Bryan

Last edited:
Scott,

As per posts #11 thru #14, MOBALL will run on TI-89, TI-92/92plus and of course the Voyage 200.

If you already have one of the above and would like to have MOBALL programed onto it, please PM or email me ([email protected]) and I'll give you my shipping address. You can mail me your TI along with $110, and I'll install MOBALL and ship it back.

Take care,
-Bryan

Brian does this calcculator give you the ability to sight in at one elevation ( run your chronograph for velocity etc.) and use it at another elevation, temp., etc in say a hunting situation?

JHanson,

MOBALL does not apply environmental conditions specific to your zero range when it's calculating sight corrections for long range shots.

As long as your zero range is 200 yards or less, that adjustment is not necessary. For example, if you establish a 200 yard zero at sea level, 32 degrees F (very dense air), a typical bullet will have about 9.14 inches of total drop at 200 yards. If you then go to 5000 feet elevation where the air temp is 80 degrees F (32% less dense air), the same bullet will have 8.92 inches of total drop at 200 yards. That means there is only .22 inches difference in drop at your 200 yard zero range in this extreme example. Bearing in mind that a single 1/4 MOA click is .52 inches at 200 yards, the drastic difference in atmospheric conditions will affect your zero by less than 1 click.

If you use a 100 yard zero, the effect is even smaller.

Now, if you set your scope zero for a long range, say 500 yards, then the feature you're talking about becomes important because a 500 yard zero can be significantly affected by differences in conditions.

I know that some programs have the feature you're talking about. I considered including it in MOBALL, but decided against it because the majority of hunters/shooters reference their drop from a 100 yard zero which is a policy I recommend for several reasons. If you use a 100 or 200 yard zero, then you don't have to worry about what the atmospheric conditions are when you zeroed the rifle, even if your program gives you the option to.

Hope this answers your question,
-Bryan

darrindlh,
The TI-86 doesn't have the screen resolution to support the dialogue (input) boxes.
-Bryan

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.