Applied Ballistics Mobile app

BryanLitz

<b>Official LRH Sponsor</b>
Introducing the Applied Ballistics (AB) Mobile app.

image054.png

This state of the art ballistics program is currently available for android devices (it will be developed for iPhone/iPod in the future).

The AB Mobile app:
Accounts for all major and minor trajectory variables
Pulls in weather data and latitude from GPS or blue-tooth link with Kestrels.
Has a library of (Litz) measured G1 and G7 BC's
Features custom drag curves for specific bullets as in-app purchases ($1.99)
Displays single shot solution in HUD view or Reticle view
Displays multi-shot solution in Reticle view, table, and graph
Offers Ballistic Calibration, so you can enter your observed drop at range and the program will calibrate; muzzle velocity, projectile drag (BC), and drop scaling over various segments of the trajectory.
Web-sync feature which allows you to store your rifle/ammo libraries online for quick retrieval.

For those familiar with the Shooter app for android and iOS, the AB Mobile app is basically an extended/advanced version of Shooter. AB Mobile was programmed by the same developer, and uses the same solver, but has a number of additional features that extend capabilities and interfacing beyond any ballistics app currently on the market.

You can view the user manual here

The app is available for purchase in the Google Market

Here are some screenshots of the AB Mobile app:

image058.jpg

image074.jpg

HUD.png

Calibration.png

Please post any questions, comments, requests, etc to this thread.

-Bryan

Jeff,

With this program, you can use G1, G7, or custom drag curves to model drag for specific bullets.

-Bryan

Ok, and am I correct that in the Ballistic calibration it will modify not only the muzzle velocity but also the BC of the bullet to get a perfect ballistic match from your actual field drops?

What I mean is does it work with both or do you choose which you wish to modify?

Thanks
Jeff

Jeff,

When you're using the ballistic calibration, it forces you to calibrate MV from zero to a given range window (high transonic), then from there to the next observed drop point (low transonic) it calibrates drag. This method and the ranges are optimized to calibrate the solution in the context of Mach number. Beyond transonic range, the solution simply scales drop, but that's beyond the ranges most will encounter.

If you really want to 'calibrate' BC/drag from muzzle to some range, you can do it manually, the old fashioned way. But the ballistic calibration interface was set up to force users to do what is usually the right thing. The original version allowed more flexibility but in testing it was found that users did many things wrong thru lack of understanding and ended up with worse solutions than they started with. So we enforced some policies to promote better use and results.

-Bryan

blackdog,

Honestly, it's going to be a while. We have a priority before iPhone, which is to develop a fully functional website that allows you to do all the same calculations as the mobile app, which will sync with the mobile app as well.

The iPhone version is next on the list after the webpage.

-Bryan

OK, I am game. Mine is down loading as I type this. I will be doing lots of comparisons to shooter and with all my logged actual field data. But the part I look forward to is the ELR Ballistic Calibration and to see how it applies to my logged data. It should save me a ton of work.

Jeff

Bryan, Two questions.

1: The powder temperature correction is tossing me way off. When I disable it I am close , but I have to disable it every time. How do I turn it off permanently?

2: Same with the wind. Every time I go to the slution page it has a 10 mph wind. I would rather turn that off and enter it from the slution page. I am not a huge fan of the dial thing with the arrow.

Thanks
Jeff

Bryan,
at what velocities are your custom drag curves collected from? In other words, how far out can we trust them? For the 338 Hybrid it seems to be pretty mutch identical to the built in G7 value out and beyond 1500m. (0.1 mil difference @1500m, 0.3mil difference @2000m)

Edit: forgot to mention that my first impression of this app is really good. Looking forward to testing it in the field!

-JV

Last edited:
Bryan,

Sounds like another good ballistic app.

With the inbuilt bullet data library, is it the same as "Shooter"and will "AB" be updated with new B.C. numbers as you do more testing?

Broz,

1) We'll look into keeping the powder temp disabled. In the mean time, you could set the MV/temp variation to 0 in the ammo profile so it has no effect when enabled. You can make a note at the bottom of the ammo profile of what your temp variation is so the number isn't lost.

2) regarding the wind, you can go to preferences, and check 'Save Atmosphere'. That will keep all your atmospheric parameters including wind the same as last time you entered them.

JV,
The custom curves are good for all speeds from Mach 4 (~4,464 fps) to zero. It is possible that the bullet can encounter some induced drag at transonic speeds. This can happen by different amounts in different atmospheres, and that's what the ballistic calibration is for.

Topshot,
The BC and custom drag library will continue to be updated with the newest BC and drag data as it becomes available.

Thanks for trying the app guys!

-Bryan

I just bought and downloaded your app Bryan, glad to offer you support.
After playing with it for a while I will do a write up on my web site and let the boys know what I think of it.

I expect you will get quite a few more downloads from down under!:D

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.