Applied Ballistics Mobile app now available for iPhone

Hi Bryan

Great that the iPhone App is finally available. Unfortunately there are a lot of peculiarities that need to be addressed. A case in point is the drop table that, if you choose to show drops in clicks, does not round off. Click adjustments are displayed as decimals. For example elevation adjustment 3.7 clicks! My scope can do 3 clicks or 4 clicks but 3.7 is hard! Of course I can round off in my head but this is the computer age.

There's more but do you have an e-mail address that I can send my feedback to?

Cheers

amce,

Sure, please email your feedback to [email protected]

There are a number of glitches that are being worked, but rounding clicks wasn't on the list. I'll add it.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide. We're looking to push an update soon with all the initial problems addressed.

-Bryan

Bryan,

I just picked up your book at the Gunwerks class in Wyoming and downloaded the app today. All great stuff!! One question... Does the app have a help feature or user instructions?

Thanks,

Marcus

I just purchased the app today, and there is something strange going on with the wind input. The default is 4m/s, when I try to change this input it just multiplies again and again to infinity... Somebody else with same problem?

I just purchased the app today, and there is something strange going on with the wind input. The default is 4m/s, when I try to change this input it just multiplies again and again to infinity... Somebody else with same problem?

So I tried to delete the app and install again, the problem is still there, but I found out, that if the atmosphere units are set to imperial it works ok, when I set back to metric units, the problem was back again...

Yes, when inputting wind in Zero Atmosphere I had the same thing. If I turn this off and even choose to manually populate the Atmosphere fields in Environment it shows 0 m/s as default and when I input a value and then press Done it reverts to zero again.

I've experienced a whole bunch of issues that I've mailed to Bryan. I'm beginning to suspect that the problems are connected to the way it handles metric units

Cheers

Traz, Bryan has posted an e-mail address above. Send him your feedback. This might speed up the debugging process

Cheers

Bryan, your original post says optimized for iPhone5, how will my 4S work with this app? Would love to try it, iSnipe has not been working lately. on the plus side of that it has made me and my shooting partner do the math!

Guys,

We're working on correcting all the known bugs and will be pushing an update soon which addresses them. Below is a list of the bugs which are fixed in the update. If you're having an issue, please check and see if it's on the 'fixed' list prior to posting. If your bug isn't listed below, please let us know.

#39 G1 & G7 populating incorrectly
When entering bullets from the library, sometimes it doesn't populate the correct drag model (G1 vs. G7). I'm not sure how the logic works on this, but when selecting a (Litz) bullet from the library,
it asks the user if they want the G1 or G7 BC. I think these are all being handled correctly. However if a user selects a non-(Litz) bullet, then it should populate the manufacturers advertised value,
which is almost always a G1. One instance this is being done incorrectly is the .30 caliber 175 grain Sierra MatchKing. When the non-(Litz) bullet is selected from the library, it lists all the
manufacturers G1 BC's, but has the G7 drag model selected. This is an error which leads to highly inaccurate results.

#41 Feature, Localization and implementation of comma instead of decimal options
I also got a report from someone, presumably outside the US that says they're phone and app are set up to work with commas instead of decimal places. When he types a comma in place of a decimal
(such as ,308), the program should interpret that as .308, but it says 308. This will be a problem for all international and will need solved.

#42 Wind Speed - possible metric rounding issue
"For metric units only. When I type in a new wind speed on the environment screen and press done, the number shown is higher than what I entered. If I keep entering new values, the shown number
keeps growing. "

#43 Add in H58 & H59 Reticle
The Horus H58/59 reticle needs to be added to the reticle list.
These need added asap.

#44 Change text for user Operation option
Change the word of Advance to Advanced within the user preferences for Operation Modes

#45 Click rounding - trajectory table
In table view, when one of the columns is 'clicks' (this goes for HUD view as well), this should always be an integer. There's no such thing as a fraction of a click, so it should not display 5.3 clicks,
or even 5.0, just 5.

#46 Reticle Output - Out of Scope issue
Also, when viewing trajectory in reticle output mode, often times (almost always) I see the text 'out of scope' in the middle of the reticle even though it's showing me the full trajectory correctly.
Please look at the conditions which cause the 'out of scope' text to appear and make it only appear when the solution truly is out of scope.

#49 Notes section update
Hi Bryan
I discovered another minor problem with the iPhone version of the software.
When I add a bullet to the Ammunition List and input information into the notes section and press done it does not save that information I placed into the notes section. When I reopen the selected
ammo for edit, The notes section is blank.
Just wanted to let you know so that the notes portion of the software can be looked at and determine why the notes are not being saved and then an update to the software can be made available.
Thanks – I'm really enjoy the app so far and it seems to be a lot better that some of the other ballistic apps that I have.

#50 Windage and Elevation display
Most of this users feedback is being/has been addressed. Two good things he brings up are in the screenshots below. First, in the rifle profile, we're showing elevation as 0.1 MIL,
but windage as 1/10 MIL adjustment. These should both be the same fractional display: 1/10th.

#51 Trajectory Table Update
Also, the trajectory graph is obviously wrong; see the discontinuity at 100 meters. He provides a screenshot from shooter showing how it should look.
per customer: "Strange things also happen with the trajectory, the table as well as the graph. I ran the same rifle and bullet with all other inputs identical through both AB and Shooter. Screen shots
of the graphs included below."

Another issue that's been addressed is the automatic atmosphere so this should work for everyone in the new build.

Thank you for helping us improve the app with your feedback. Remember that we add reticles based on user feedback, so if your reticle of choice isn't listed in the app, please email: [email protected] with your request and we'll add it to the list.

On bug reports, the more specific you are, the better we'll be able to address the issues. We don't always need a long report but the problem does need described in a way that allows us to recreate it.

Thank you and take care,
-Bryan

Brian,

Will the Horus/Kestrel 4500 use this newest AB program? I'm about ready to buy one to use with my HS Precision .300 Win mag. and 230 gr. Berger Tactical hybrid pills.

Thanks, Eric B.

Eric,

Let me clarify, Horus and Applied Ballistics are two different companies, two different solvers.

Kestrel has integrated both the Horus and Applied Ballistics solvers into different models of their weather meters, and both are currently available.

You can get the Applied Ballistics Kestrel here: Kestrel With Applied Ballistics

The Applied Ballistics Kestrel has many advantages over the Horus, most importantly accuracy.

Do some research and chose which you think is best, but I just wanted to clarify that Horus and AB were totally different.

Take care,
-Bryan

Aha! I thought that the AB program was an option of a Horus/Kestrel 4500. Now I see it as a separate entity available directly through Kestrel.

Thanks Brian for clarifying that. I'll get the Kestrel with AB due to its real world ballistics derived from testing and not extrapolated from theory. Plus the AB program has more and better downrange BCs as I understand it. I've bookmarked the link you provided.

Eric

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.