New Mexico Antelope 338AM

Kirby we are just jealous. I want a 338 AM but don't have the cash to pony up for it.

You are correct in your statement about things getting difficult with the 300 win mag past 1000. I have done a fair amount of rock shooting and clay pigeons at that range and my rifle shoots very accurately that far but in the areas I shoot there are a lot of canyons between the gun and the target. On days that are calm, which there are very few, we shoot clay pigeons. On days that are not I am lucky to hit the hill. Each canyon has a different wind blowing a different direction and speed. Sort of a unique place, coastal fog on one side and very hot heated valley on the other.

In a hunting situation I would not attempt a shot past my comfortable range for the conditions. Some days that would be 500, some it would be 1000. With the 338 AM that range would be bumped way up, I would expect the low limit to be somewhere around 8 or 900.

I have not had the pleasure to shoot one of your rifles but from what I have read and heard from people they are super accurate and a joy to shoot. If I had one I am sure I would shoot everything with it like the original poster.

Knowing your limits is the most valuable thing to the long range hunter. Obviously you have taken the time to know your capabilities very well and that is far more valuable and impressive then any rifle you can shoulder.

Extrenal conditions limit every shooter and every weapon system inspite of what many would like to have you believe. Its more important to know "When NOT to shoot" then believe you can take a shot your not prepared to take.

Good post.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.