Public Hunting land for Antelope in New Mexico

lerch

<strong>SPONSOR</strong>
Me and BJ are looking for a cheaper style hunt for next year in New Mexico or some other state. We are wanting antelope or maybe even mule deer, buck only. Does anyone have any recommendations for public hunting land. We are wanting to hike in and camp for 4 days. I havent ever done anything like this before so any help would be appreciated. Wanting to go next year.

New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, whereever is good.

thanks
steve

The antelope draw system in NM places state drawn hunters on private ranches. Best of both worlds!
Deer on public land is draw only. Unit 2B is a monster hot spot, but guess what, HARD to draw. There are many other areas to hunt deer in NM DIY style that can be productive.
I drew a muley tag this year down in the desert am gonna DIY it.
If you have more questions about NM, I'll try to answer!

Well I have never done anything like this so I am kinda lost i guess. I am wanting to DIY to save some money for a upcoming caribou hunt in 2008 and I have always wanted to do a spot camp myself hunt trip.

What are good units to try for that I can have a good chance at drawing. I dont have to limit myself to a world record, just wanting a decent goat for the wall.

Any info on how to go about it all would be great

thanks
steve

Lerch, Think u are missing the point, there isn't really anywhere here that you are gonna do a pack in antelope hunt. When you draw an antelope tag, they PUT you on a ranch of their choosing. There is no additional cost for hunting the private land. They force the landowners to allow draw hunters in exchange for their landowner tags. It is against the law for the landowner to try and charge you anything to hunt there or treat you unfairly while on his land. The hunts are on private land and you do a lot of driving and glassing. Now the mule deer on the other hand, would afford you lots of opportunity to choose a wilderness area, pack in as far as you choose, and have a fun hunt.

Okay then repeat question, mule deer now. This is all new to me. I have always hunted on family or lease land, only been on one guide hunt and some of you may remember me reporting on that disaster this time last year.

Same questions as above, any tips, hints, advice??

thanks
steve

Give me a call tomorrow at my house 620-662-3669 if you have time. I will be out part of the day shooting the 7mm Dakota XP, hopefully out to just beyond 900 yards, but it is supposed to be quite windy. Good practice opportunity mixed in with good dose of reality /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Non-residents for deer without guide is a 10% draw of all available draw permits in that particular unit. example: Unit 34 might have 1000 available permits for ALL drawings, non-resident without guide will get 100 of them, so be wise in your choices and do research all available data on the NM Game website before making choices Last year had to be in by April 8, I don't know about this year,,,but I'm still putting in for my choices!!

Lerch, if you do not like what New Mexico has to offer look at Wyoming, good draw odds and tons of public land in some areas. I have hunted southern Wyoming and the hunting is good and there are lots of nice antelope. You can even combine a deer and antelope hunt and maybe even get some extra doe tags. Lots of fun for your long range shooting pleasure. You can buy a preferance point until Sept. 30 and this would put you in the top draw pool, since this was the first year WY sold them and they are offering an extension until the end of the month, a good investment. I am heading to SW New Mexico to antelope hunt the first week in October and plan to stop and see you guys on the way out. I can bring some info if you want me too. Hope to have a new 270 AM to show off as well.

So you are saying I can still buy preferance points for the 07 season?? I have never tried to draw out or buy points for any state and I am completely new to all of this. ANy more info you have would be great, so far what you are saying would be right up my road. Would the hunting be in a area where I could hike in and camp out for 3-4 days??

thanks again
steve

Lerch, I sent you an e-mail covering some of the details as far as location and links to how you can still buy points for the '07 draw. The area we hunted had lots of areas to camp and hunt and plenty of room to wander. We had to bone &amp; pack all of our antelope out because we had gone into areas with no roads to get to some of the better bucks in the area. We camped on a road, but never had one truck come by. I think with the etxra doe tags and the camping this would be exactly what you are looking for.

Thanks for the info, i have downloaded the forms and will be sending them off. Do you have any pics of the area you were in??? Just curious as to what the hunting would be like up there.

Thanks again for your help

thanks
steve

I do not have any pictures that are digital, but will throw in some of my film pictures when I come thru in early October. The country is foothills with quite a bit of contour and a few scattered mountains, the only trees where we camped were scattred stands of junipers, but they were enough for firewood. Some of the county gets real steep, but only for short periods. Elevations were from 7000 to 9000 ft. I think you will really enjoy it. I will be in touch so I can get directions to the store where you guys work. Contact me if you have questions before then.

thanks again

i will be looking forward to seeing the pics when we get to meet up with you

thanks again
steve

in wyoming its pretty easy and also quite cheap to get pronghorn tags. the hunting is GREAT! but in my experience 'hiking to camp' may not be an option. it's more like drive your truck around and glass for some animals.

two weeks ago i got 3 left-over tags for less than $100. and last year i had no problem finding enough animals to fill all 3 tags i had.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.