New here - need some advice/thoughts

JoeyT

I will be traveling to Montana for an elk hunt next November (4th time out there). My 30.06 worked well the past 2 years and the 250 yd shots I took were successful. I've practiced out to 400 yds off sticks and backpacks and I'm comfortable at that range. The problem is I couldn't reach out to 700-800 yds where we spotted some very large bulls. I just purchased a Savage Stealth Evolution (300 win mag) and will be adding a scope to the rifle in the next week. From everything I'm reading, and speaking with some other long range hunters, I decided NOT to spend $4k-5K on a custom rifle. I spent $1,600 on the Savage. The reviews on the Stealth Evolution all seem to be favorable and everyone is telling me to put good glass on the rifle and hand load for accuracy. So I have a few questions and I'm hoping you guys can give me some good input:

1. I'm looking at Night Force/Vortex and Leupold scopes with max magnification of 22. I've been told not to go to 25 magnification because it will limit my field of view. Am I thinking/being told correctly? My price range on scopes is up top $2,000.
2. I'm on the edge when it comes to hand loading - I know Federal/Hornady/Nosler all make good factory loads - is that enough when shooting at 800 yds?
3. Should I be looking at 180 gr. or go into the 200-225 gr. bullets.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

JoeyT

1) The Savage will likely work for you.
2) Top end magnification is kind of personal taste to a degree. 25X isn't necessary for elk to 800 yards. Someplace between 10 and 16x should be useable, but 25x can be turned down for more FOV.
3) Stretching the distance with factory ammo I won't say no to, but not enthusiastic about it. Berger is making some pretty good ammo, and there are custom loaders out there that can load to your rifle. Hammer Bullets being one of them and you'll see them posting regularly here.

1) The Savage will likely work for you.
2) Top end magnification is kind of personal taste to a degree. 25X isn't necessary for elk to 800 yards. Someplace between 10 and 16x should be useable, but 25x can be turned down for more FOV.
3) Stretching the distance with factory ammo I won't say no to, but not enthusiastic about it. Berger is making some pretty good ammo, and there are custom loaders out there that can load to your rifle. Hammer Bullets being one of them and you'll see them posting regularly here.
HarperC - thanks for the feedback. I'm getting the feeling that hand loading is the way to go..I do have a friend that hand loads and has volunteered his time to help me find the right load that matches well the rifle

As for a scope look at the US Optics B-17 line! I have one that moves in 1 click = 1/4 inch at 100 yards not 1/4 MOA. I think it is just as nice as my Nightforce and i would not hesitate buying another!!

With any ammo it is about accuracy and consistency. If you can get that with factory it will work. Just have to try various combos to see if you can find what your rifle likes. It may or may not like any of them enough to get that distance, and you may need to try 10 different types, which can get expensive. And after that testing you may not be any better off if the ammo isn't accurate enough.

With handloading you can get there almost certainly.

For ammunition, you may be able to find some factory loaded that works well in your rifle. There is a lot of good ammunition these days. You might try that first before going through the work of finding a load.

Regarding scopes, I'm more concerned with magnification on the low end and field of view at low power setting. I would recommend a Nightforce 4-16x ATACR for what you want to do.

A 180 ghr bullet can work. Double check the velocity and energy at the distance you want to reach

Handloading encourages the practice necessary to make an 800 yard shot.
As for scopes, on the low end i have a sightron stac 4-20, it'll work fine for what ur wanting and leave enough cash to buy reloading equipment. Choose a Moa or mil based scope with matching reticle and tactical turrets.
I consider a kestrel an essential tool for 1/2mile shooting, along with a rangefinder that will reliably range

First off, welcome to the forum!

Do you have a weight range for your scope? How important is tracking/RTZ? Reticle?

If up to 30 oz is ok, I'd lean NF ATACR 4-16x42. Tracking and return to zero is impeccable. That's around 2k on sale or lightly used and I haven't seen any complaints about that scope. (I was planning on getting one myself, but a Premier Heritage LT 3-15 came up in the classifieds and I had to buy it...)

My opinion
1.)
Having between 15-30X is ideal and what you want in that range is personal preference. I really like toward the higher end.

2&3.)
I like every advantage when Im trying to make a hit on the first shot. I dont know off the top of my head what factory options there are but at ~700 yards Id be very hesitant shooting with the lower BC 180 grain range of 30 cal bullets during any wind, especially over mountains, and you might be at an even greater disadvantage considering factory often loads light on charge. There are people who are better at holding and reading wind than me who could do it though.
For handloading, I believe your rifle is a 1:10 so the 215 Berger everyone raves about here isnt going to stabilize at every altitude but I believe the 212 ELDX will. If you were to handload, you would much more likely get the best performing bullet that stabilizes to shoot accurately than if you were limited factory AND you could make sure a temperature stable powder is used (very important).
Im very much in favor of handloading if you intend to take long range hunting seriously but there are people who make factory work.

I will be traveling to Montana for an elk hunt next November (4th time out there). My 30.06 worked well the past 2 years and the 250 yd shots I took were successful. I've practiced out to 400 yds off sticks and backpacks and I'm comfortable at that range. The problem is I couldn't reach out to 700-800 yds where we spotted some very large bulls. I just purchased a Savage Stealth Evolution (300 win mag) and will be adding a scope to the rifle in the next week. From everything I'm reading, and speaking with some other long range hunters, I decided NOT to spend $4k-5K on a custom rifle. I spent $1,600 on the Savage. The reviews on the Stealth Evolution all seem to be favorable and everyone is telling me to put good glass on the rifle and hand load for accuracy. So I have a few questions and I'm hoping you guys can give me some good input:

1. I'm looking at Night Force/Vortex and Leupold scopes with max magnification of 22. I've been told not to go to 25 magnification because it will limit my field of view. Am I thinking/being told correctly? My price range on scopes is up top $2,000.
2. I'm on the edge when it comes to hand loading - I know Federal/Hornady/Nosler all make good factory loads - is that enough when shooting at 800 yds?
3. Should I be looking at 180 gr. or go into the 200-225 gr. bullets.

Thank you in advance for your advice!

JoeyT
1 - for me weight is a consideration for a scope on a hunting rifle. I would look at the leupold VX5HD or VX6HD. 15x is plenty to kill big game out to 1000 yards. Something like the 3-18x50 VX6HD would be pretty ideal IMO

2-3 - Factory Ammo has come a really long ways. Hornady precision hunter, Nosler trophy grade and federal premium have all given me .5 moa in various rifles. High bc bullets in any of those will allow you to shoot out to 800 yards and beyond. The ELDX and ABLR are both good long range bullets.

Last edited:
Your're tracking on the right path! You don't need to spend $$$$K on a rifle to shoot at longer ranges anymore, unless you feel the need to. A better 6-24x50 scope SFP, is good to go. As far as being on the fence with handloading, you should really do it and getting started into the reloading game, is way easier than it used to be!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.