Need some advice

If you want a new gun to get a new gun that's cool. But what's wrong with the .270 you have? Should take elk just fine to 500-600 with a good shot. Just curious.

Well now that is an excellent question. My thinking was (from what I've read) that I needed a magnum caliber in order to have sufficient energy for elk/moose size animals beyond 500 yards. My 270 is strictly factory, no mods at all, with a 4x-16 Vortex scope. Where would I go from here with this rifle?

The military used the Remington Model 700 for years as their go to rifle for Snipers. The military used 30-06. However 300 win mag is a better option for elk. The rifle is a great choice. I agree with other posts on purchasing the best optic that your budget can afford. Then keep upgrading every chance you can afford better. Once their you will love this rifle.

The military used the Remington Model 700 for years as their go to rifle for Snipers. The military used 30-06. However 300 win mag is a better option for elk. The rifle is a great choice. I agree with other posts on purchasing the best optic that your budget can afford. Then keep upgrading every chance you can afford better. Once their you will love this rifle.
The US Military hasn't used the 06 for a sniper round for decades.

Out to 600yds the preferred round is the .308win and beyond that .300wm in their standard M24 and M40 rifles which are built on a blueprinted 700 action.

Well now that is an excellent question. My thinking was (from what I've read) that I needed a magnum caliber in order to have sufficient energy for elk/moose size animals beyond 500 yards. My 270 is strictly factory, no mods at all, with a 4x-16 Vortex scope. Where would I go from here with this rifle?
The 300wm would be much more suitable beyond 500yds than the .270.

Some guys go by the 1500 ft/lbs of energy number for elk (1000 ft/lbs for deer). The .270 with a good load should get you between 400-500 yards at 1500 ft/lbs. Now does an elk care if you hit him with 1500 or 1200 ft/lbs? That is up to you to make the decision on how well you can place a shot. If you reload, you may be able to stretch a little more out of the .270 as well. Barrel length helps too, but you're stuck with what ya have there.

If you plan to regularly shoot over 500yds, then go up to a 300WM. But if you are mostly shooting less than that, if your craft is solid, the .270 should do just fine.

It's never a bad thing to have a 300WM in the safe.. I do.

For your 270 Berger and Hornady just came out with a 140 classic hunter(Ber)@ .528 and 145ELD-X @ .536 Add in the .525 150 Interbond .496 140 Accubond .531 150 Ber and you have something that should shoot. I mentioned the Interbonds because I just saw 11 boxes at a shop I frequent. I bought 2 to go with the 2 I have.
It's not a long range elk gun but inside of 500yds a good shot placement will get it done. Has been for decades. Poorly placed shot and you won't.
With the 140's try Rl 26 It's fast:D

So I did a lot of research and searching and ended up changing my mind a little. Went with a .338 Win mag custom rifle from NW Action Works. Wasn't that much more than a Sendero and better quality in the end I believe. Putting a Vortex HS-T 6-24x50mm on it with Seekins base and rings. I'll probably part with my .300 and do some work on my .270, that will cover all my hunting bases I think. Thanks for all your help.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.