Need some advice

Ksmirk

Ok fella's the 243 is for the most part done now I need to figure out a hunting rifle to build, this is probably not what most folks would think to be a long range rifle but for around here I'm thinking they would be just right but I'd like to get your input and thoughts. I'm thinking about either a 6.5-06 or a 280 Remington, chances of seeing an elk are about as good as me hitting the lottery so the majority of stuff will be in the deer class and pigs. I have the 243 that I'm still working on loads for and I also have the ol' reliable 308 but they both wear very heavy barrels and I'd rather not carry them for a long distance! so I was thnking of something with a heavier than factory contour barrel but not a HV barrel but I'd like to have something that would work out to say 600 - 700 yards on deer and pigs most shots will be in the 100 - 300 yard range.

If you folks would put in your opinions and experiences with either of the calibers or your choices please let me know! this has to be the hardest part of a rifle build! thanks for looking fella's. Later,

Kirk

Almost the 280.

I would 'almost' choose the 280. If I were doing it, I'd go with a 280AI, same boltface as 280, easy/automatic forming, can be loaded to almost 7mmRM levels with much greater efficiency etc.

AJ

My choice would be a 7mm mag of one variety or another. While either one of your choices would work, the 7mm mags would provide a flatter trajectory for 700 yd shooting at whitetails and would provide an additional level of terminal performance for that lottery winning elk.

If you don't want to go with a magnum cartridge, the 280AI is fairly close in power to the 7mm Rem mag and can be particularely accurate in a custom rifle.

Just my 2 cents

Ok of the 2 280AI's I have had anything to do with the fella's had a hell of a time getting them to shoot, one of them pulled the barrel rechambered to 280 and it shot fine, both were the same barrel and same reamer pretty much a couple of guys with the same everything is this something that happens often? like I said I have only had dealings with 2 but hey I ain't scared! the reason I don't want to go Mag is the fact of me busting up my shoulder a few years ago and well recoil these days also involves many hours with the heating pad! I'd put a break on it but I've done that before on another rifle I had and well I'd rather deal with the kick than the noise. Thanks fella's I'm leaning heavy toward the 280 and what the hell I might just give the AI version a try!

One other question, would you chamber it to accept 270 brass? my 25-06 I never bought any brass but when I found a mess of 270 I would have to trim it down, I know the 280 brass you can purchase anywhere but hey I'm cheap and don't mind a little extra work. I guess it's time to start gathering goodies up probably start the first of the year. Later fella's and thanks a bunch!

Kirk

NOT to start a fight or offend anyone, but if your other experience with the 280 AI's was bad, find a different gunsmith.

JMO

Mike

I hope that you have some idea of what it take to make a 600 or 700 yrds. shot. I just happen to have the drop chart for my .22-6mm in fornt of me. If my rifle is zeroed at 100 yrds. it will be 61.09 in low at 600 yrds and 90.31 in low at 700 yrds. This is a round strictly for lond range shooting as shoot very flat compaired to all popular hunting rounds. With a .25-06 shooting an 87 gn. bullet at 3,500 fps the drop at 600 yrds. would be 117 in. and with a 10 mph cross wind drift would be 76.76 in. That means that you have to carry a range finder and something to measure wind speed to even stand a chance at hitting your target. With my 80 gn. Sierra bullets with a BC of .420 and a wind of 4.5 to 5 mph and a 45 degree angle my point of impact moved 10 in. at 600 yrds. when the wind died. With the same seniro with the .25-06 the bullet would have moved closer to 30 in.

catfish, yes sir I know what it takes to shoot long range, I used to be big into the tactical shooting and have a 308 I shoot out to 1K zeroed at 100 that little 168SMK drops 320" and it takes a LOOOOONNNGGG time to get there and that little bit of wind (3-5 mph half value) I had to hold a full dot off or 36" (I shoot Mil-Dot scopes) I have the range cards and these were made in the real world not off a computer but I just really don't want to carry a 12lb. rifle around! I did it once and it was not but for 1/2 mile in and this boy didn't really care much for it.

mikenc, your not going to start a fight with me! well maybe there are some things I might get a bit upset about :) we put our stuff together ourselves, the reamer was used on 2 different lathes by 2 different people and when I say they had a hard time getting them to shoot consider we think 1/2" is ok, while they would shoot an 1" at 100 yards these two enjoyed shooting BR I must say that I just could never sit there for that long punching paper so they shot good but they just didn't meet there needs or should I say wants! hunting rifles they would have been fine.

I've been reading up a little on the 280's and I see where the 280AI is right there with the 7mm Mag just less powder? now this is just looking things up on the net and a couple of loading books I have scattered around the house, a 280AI with 58gr of RL-22 pushing a 160gr 2975fps and the 7mm Mag with 63gr of RL-22 only getting to 3058fps that's not too dang much difference if you ask me! what are folks finding out in the real world about the difference in these 2 rounds? are they that close? Oh well I'm gonna get off here and find something to eat but folks I appreciate all your advice and look forward to hearing more, I'm not going to start this until after the first of the year so I still have a little while to figure it out! while I have the chisel and hammer in my hand I have not hit the stone yet. Again thanks!!

Kirk

...a couple of loading books I have scattered around the house, a 280AI with 58gr of RL-22 pushing a 160gr 2975fps and the 7mm Mag with 63gr of RL-22 only getting to 3058fps that's not too dang much difference if you ask me! what are folks finding out in the real world about the difference in these 2 rounds? are they that close?...

Kirk

I believe JD338 shoots one, and he's told me they ARE that close. We were comparing (since I shoot a 7mm RM) and I was impressed.

Drop him a PM, I'm sure he won't mind.

AJ

The 6.5 Would be my choice, have used a .264 and 6.5x 284 for years on game up to the size of eland. Use good bullets and it will do what you ask of it.

If you are trying to stay on the low side of the recoil curve the 6.5 would work very well, great Bc with berger 140s and more than adequate velocity for deer to 800 yds plus. Easy rto make cases,and the sectional density of the 6.5 bullet.. great combo.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.