Need some advice

Titaniumman

I'm new to the long range game (beyond 300 yds anyway). I have hunted for years with a Browning Safari II BAR in .300 Win and have a fairly new Mod 70 Winchester Stealth in .270. I'm looking at a Remington 700 Long Range in either .300 Win or 7mm Rem Mag. Purpose is hunting elk in the open eastern Montana region. I don't have the $$$ to buy a custom gun but over time could upgrade this one. I'm thinking this rifle is a good place to start? Thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations? Thanks!

That will be a fine place to start , either the 7 RM or WM will serve you well. Best advice I can offer is start reloading if you don't already and spend as much as you possibly can only a good optic . Don't be afraid to pick up a used scope, it can be a great way to get into a high end optic without paying through the nose for a new one .

I'm new to the long range game (beyond 300 yds anyway). I have hunted for years with a Browning Safari II BAR in .300 Win and have a fairly new Mod 70 Winchester Stealth in .270. I'm looking at a Remington 700 Long Range in either .300 Win or 7mm Rem Mag. Purpose is hunting elk in the open eastern Montana region. I don't have the $$$ to buy a custom gun but over time could upgrade this one. I'm thinking this rifle is a good place to start? Thoughts? Opinions? Recommendations? Thanks!
I recently bought .260 Rem's in both the Ruger Hawkeye FTW and Remington Gen II 5R. They are both shooting exceptionally well, well under 1MOA with factory ammo.

Both of those rifles are also available in .300wm

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...+Gen2+Model+700+5R+.300+Winchester+Magnum+24"

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog...s_id/19732/Ruger+47146+Hawkeye+FTW+Hunter,+BA

The Ruger is also available in 7mm RM.

The Ruger is a fair bit lighter than the Remington so if you are planning to pack it a long ways that's worth considering.

I haven't put a scale on the Remington but I believe it's a hair lighter than the Sendero but very similar.

The Remington Sendero is available in both 7mmRM and .300wm.

You'd be hard pressed to find better than either of these in the same price range.

BTW for an elk round out to 600yds the .375Ruger would be worth considering and it's a blast to shoot.

That will be a fine place to start , either the 7 RM or WM will serve you well. Best advice I can offer is start reloading if you don't already and spend as much as you possibly can only a good optic . Don't be afraid to pick up a used scope, it can be a great way to get into a high end optic without paying through the nose for a new one .
And don't be afraid to search the LRH classifieds for good used glass. I've gotten some very good deals on glass from fellow LRH members.

Speaking of which if the OP needs a lighter carry rifle there's a nice package deal on a Montana Rifle Co .300wm listed in the classified's right now.

I have a custom 7mm STW built on the M1999 action and it's just flat deadly accurate.

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...-rifle-extreme-x2-300-win-mag-leupold-178282/

I know nothing about this particular rifle or the person listing it but it's definitely one I'd consider if I were looking.

Buy the cheapest junked out Savage you can. Add Shilen, Criterion, X-caliber or other barrel. Recoil lug and stock. Home true it all and shoot.
Action $250
Barrel $3-400
Lug $40
Stock $150-750
That combo will shoot as good as you for a long time, will have a REAL barrel and you won't have to wait for a gunsmith to work on it. Gunsmith time and real time are not the same thing lol.
If you hate Savages, use the same principle to build a Remage and upgrade it the same way.
Spending $1k for a factory rig MAY get you where you want to go but if it doesn't, get ready to spend another $3k to get there.
I personally don't see any logic in buying a high dollar factory gun with the intention of UPGRADING. You are paying for the same thing twice.
If you want to UPGRADE, buy cheap for the action only and then upgrade.

Don't forget the wait on the barrel, yes some are in stock, but not all. Also don't forget the wait on a stock! Talk about timely.

Compared to a few factory rifles that have a proven track record, I'd say the op is on the right track. If he does want to upgrade chances are it will stem from "want" not "need".

Don't forget the wait on the barrel, yes some are in stock, but not all. Also don't forget the wait on a stock! Talk about timely.

Compared to a few factory rifles that have a proven track record, I'd say the op is on the right track. If he does want to upgrade chances are it will stem from "want" not "need".

Wait on ANYTHING that goes BANG or contributes to a BANG in any way, evidently is not subject to Einsteins Theory of Relativity. GUN TIME and REAL TIME are two completely different things.

If you want a new gun to get a new gun that's cool. But what's wrong with the .270 you have? Should take elk just fine to 500-600 with a good shot. Just curious.

I've read a few negative reviews of newer Remington rifles. However, I have no idea if they were valid. I do have a 43+ year old Model 700 in .270 Win that'll shoot ~.25" It has been 100% reliable. So I'd be inclined to give Remington a look.

Computer aided manufacturing has taken human error out of production. Hence, most rifles ought to be shooters unless inferior materials are used.

I've read a few negative reviews of newer Remington rifles. However, I have no idea if they were valid. I do have a 43+ year old Model 700 in .270 Win that'll shoot ~.25" It has been 100% reliable. So I'd be inclined to give Remington a look.

Computer aided manufacturing has taken human error out of production. Hence, most rifles ought to be shooters unless inferior materials are used.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BKDyHq_js0c/

First post!

That's what a new Remington looks like..... shame

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.