Need some advice

The 6.5-06 AI or the 280 AI. The 280 AI barrel will last longer. It will shoot within 75-100 fps of the 7mm rem. These two I have and love to shoot. I have plenty of rifles and don't worry so much about barrel wear. If this is one rifle for you and lots of shooting do the 280 AI and fire your smith. That is an awesome accurate cartridge. I could not imagine screwing one up so bad it wouldn't shoot. I have never seen one that wouldn't shoot.

Why not the .260 or 6.5x284? Both would be excellent candidates for this project. They will shine in a short barreled rifle and still be effective to 800yds. 20-22" barrel would be ideal.

Thanks sir I'll have to do that! I was pretty amazed that they were that close! Again thanks.

Kirk

Kirk, they really are that close. There are some things you can do to make the 280AI even closer. If you want the long range performance option always there and light bullet go fast numbers are not important have a reamer ground, or call Dave at PT&G and ask for a .188 freebore. This is a standard throat length Dave has made up for the 160 and up bullets, it is ideal for the big 180 Bergers. This increases case capacity and will slightly reduce preassures with the long bullets. If you are running a rem action you will prob need to go with a Wyatt box for the 180 and 168 Bergers.

I have 2 280 the standard throated rifle sits in the safe. After shooting the heavier bullets in a rifle specifically built for them the 140's at 3250 have lost their appeal....lol.

The rifle set up is
Kreiger 1-9 25.5"
.188 freebore

I can get just over 3000 with the 168's and just over 2900 with the 180's. It shoots these velocities with primer pockets still nice and tight after 3 loadings. Recoil is a non factor IMO. You cad see your hits with the above combo. Good luck with your choice. The 280 AI is a great little cartridge it shouldn't disappoint.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.