new custom rifle

AZhunter

Newbie. First post.
I am currenting having a custom rifle made by Don Golembieski of Kodiak Precision. The plans are for a 300 Ultra with a Rem SS action, McMillan sporter stock, #5 fluted Schnieder barrel and custom muzzelbrake. Needless to say, I ampretty excited.
I have been surfing the internet to get opinions on favorite loads as well as accessories eg slings, etc. I plan on using the rifle for big game hunting (deer, elk, etc). I will probably use around a 185 gr bullet.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

I am using a factory rem 700 300 ultra mag with a 26" barrell. The best load i've found in the month I've had it is 99.5 grains of hogden Retumbo behind 180 grain hornady interbonds in remington cases using rimington or cci magnum primers. found a slug out of the bowling ball I shot at 100 yards last weekend. picked up some of the concrete when it mushroomed, but very impressive.

I also got 3/4 moa loads using speer 180 gr btsp on 99 gr retumbo, hot load for primer, not as bad as factory though. Bullets didn't hold up well on impact at the rum's velocity

I will be testing some heavier bullets next year because there are a lot of people on this sight that love the 200 grain nosler accubond, it's worth a try. The 190 gr hornady interlock btsp showed a lot of potential as well.

Thanks. I understand that a lot of posters like the Accubond. In addition to being accurate, it's supposed to be a good hunting round with good weight retention.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.