I have a new custom rifle now..................

Greg Duerr

I have a new custom rifle...............Remington 700 SA Pac Nor Super Match SS #4 1X9 Sako Extractor Jewell Trigger McMillian stock...............Smithed by Carolina Precision Rifles. 243 Ackley...............Leupold 4.5x 14 AO .NOW
Im planning on buying Redding Type S Match Neck Dies..........Ok, this is all very new to me...........

Now I need to work up a load..............I'm considering starting load work with the 95gr Berger VLD and H414 powder.............Lapua Brass All of these are based on what I have read about the .243AI
So do I need a cronograph?

Do I start out with the bullet touching the Rifling?

Is it true that your rifles accuracy would dramatically improve by a .5 change in your powder charge?

I realize that a lot depends on a consistent shooting style thats geared towards accuracy...............Im just not sure what to expect or what the proper steps are in finding my rifles accuracy potential

What is considered GOOD accuracy assuming 5 5 shot groups averaged.........?

Since you guys have been here many times could you give me some advice.

GDU

I have a new custom rifle...............Remington 700 SA Pac Nor Super Match SS #4 1X9 Sako Extractor Jewell Trigger McMillian stock...............Smithed by Carolina Precision Rifles. 243 Ackley...............Leupold 4.5x 14 AO .NOW
Im planning on buying Redding Type S Match Neck Dies..........Ok, this is all very new to me...........

Now I need to work up a load..............I'm considering starting load work with the 95gr Berger VLD and H414 powder.............Lapua Brass All of these are based on what I have read about the .243AI
So do I need a cronograph?

In terms of powders, consider the Hodgdon Extreme powders. They are the most temp stable. Consider H4350 in your 243.

Chronograph - YES. To develop a load without one is like shooting with your eyes closed. In addition to accuracy (group size and shape) you also need to look for a load that has consistent velocity with little deviation.

Do I start out with the bullet touching the Rifling?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/for...accuracy-berger-vld-bullets-your-rifle-40204/

Is it true that your rifles accuracy would dramatically improve by a .5 change in your powder charge?

In a 243 an increase of decrease of .5grains of powder will have a fairly significant impact on velocity. How it affects accuracy, you will not know until you shoot it.

I realize that a lot depends on a consistent shooting style thats geared towards accuracy...............Im just not sure what to expect or what the proper steps are in finding my rifles accuracy potential

What is considered GOOD accuracy assuming 5 5 shot groups averaged.........?

I consider 'good' accuracy .5moa or better with an extreme spread (ES) of <20

trebark....................Thanks, I will google Optical Charge Weight .........you guys are so much better then the internet for super information.............based on Experiance and hands on.

Horses are a lot like Motorcycles, its not if your going to have an accident but when.
I dont hunt with Horses and I dont hunt with Quads, somthings are best left at home.

trebark....................Thanks, I will google Optical Charge Weight .........you guys are so much better then the internet for super information.............based on Experiance and hands on.

Horses are a lot like Motorcycles, its not if your going to have an accident but when.
I dont hunt with Horses and I dont hunt with Quads, somthings are best left at home.

whoops...optiMal charge weight

Optimal charge weight..................................A cronograph is unnessesary?

He does not even mention a cronograph as a necessary tool.

I like this method a whole lot better than the Ladder Method............

Im looking forward to working up a load in my .19 Badger as well as my .243 Ackley..............Seem like after reading about the opimal charge weight load development.....................there is a lot of hipe out there.

A lot of unnecessary stuff............

Greg

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.