New Aluminum tipped Wildcat Bullet test results.....

I agree with what you are saying about the tips needing to be harder aluminum. Something I read about one of the reasons why the "plastic" tips outperform lead tips is the lead sluffs off under the extreme exceleration, thus losing the balistic advantage of a sharp profile. Could soft aluminum do this also?

After further consideration, the point is kind of extreme. With such a small tip radius even aircraft aluminum like 7075 may bend/dent in a magazine under heavy recoil!

Next time you get a batch you may want to leave one in the magazine and fire 3-5 other bullets, always leaving that one in and checking the nose after each shot.

edge.

if its extruded and not cast I would think 6061 would take it,if I was doing it I would try 6063 cooked to T-6 first and go harder as needed,and I doubt you would have to get to the 7075 or F74 to get it harder than the copper tips on the SMK bullets.

****.. now I got a woody...LOL.. The wife is gone this week.. maybe I should drive the hour to Richard's and ride in the tractor with him telling him how 6.5mm are the next aluminum tipped bullets he needs to make for my 6.5X300 Win Mag...

How long do you all think it would take to convince him..LOL..8 or 12 hours should be enough eh?????

Might be an idea no????

Blygy,

I believe Richard is already getting set up for the 25, 6.5, 270 and 7mm aluminum tipped bullets. Not sure if he has the jackets yet but I am pretty sure they are in the works!!!

From what I hear from Richard, he can not even get in the **** tractor, to wet in the fields. Luckily he has most of his crop in the ground, bad thing is its getting water logged pretty severely. Need some sun and wind for a week or two I think.

Kirby Allen(50)

That's good news about the bullets Kirby.. I'll have to send him an email expressing interest in them..

The rain here is getting stupid.. rains everyday and sometimes 4 or 5 times a day.. big thunder showers mostly but they are adding up fast...

Has there been any word on when any will be available? What twist would you need in say a 338/300 or 338/408.

Thanks

Lazylabs,

There are at least three different 338 options right now. The ones i have on order are a heavy jacketed 265 gr version that is roughly 1.920" in length. A 300 gr SMK for comparision is 1.720" in length on average!!!!

I went with the lighter bullet option to start with so I could shoot them out of my 338 Allen Xpress, 338 Kahn and 338 Allen Magnum. This bullet will offer 100 to 150 fps more in velocity potential then the 300 gr SMK and I am predicting a BC in the 0.850 to 0.880 range compared to the SMK with its BC of around .78 to .8 depending on specific conditions.

There is also a 300 gr version which I have not tested but Richard tells me he is getting good reports from customers testing them. I believe he has gotten reports of a 4.5" and 3.5" group at 1000 yards with this bullet at velocities in the 2700 to 2850 fps range in 1-10 twist barrels. This bullet is very long, Right at 2.020" in length and about the max I feel a 1-10 will stabilize. I do not know what BC would be, best guess, around .9 to .92 I would imagine.

The last version is a 311 gr design that is 2.250" in length. I know for a fact that a 1-10 will not stabilize these as I have tried even at my 338 AM velocity levels. A 1-9 may well do it but a 1-8.5 may be a better choice.

Richard told me last night he has the ability to make up to a 400 gr Aluminum tipped 338 bullet!!!!! I would imagine this bullet would be WAY over 2.5" in length and I have no idea what the twist rate needed would be.

For the two lighter bullets, a 1-10 will work just fine in the two cartridge classes you ask about.

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.