New Aluminum tipped Wildcat Bullet test results.....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

I ran down to the post office this morning and picked up a small package sent from Alberta Canada. Inside were a very limited number of very impressive looking aluminum tipped 338 bullets from my good friend Richard Graves.

Initial testing with this bullet design had not gone real well in my worn 1-10 Lilja barreled 338 Allen Magnum. The reason was the thin jackets used on those first bullets. Some barrels proved very accurate with these thin jacketed bullets. My 338 AM and 338 Kahn however ripped them apart on nearly every shot.

These new bullets were made with a much thicker jacket, similiar in thickness to Richards original ULD RBBT in 338 which shot extremely well in my Kahn and 338 AM.

There were two bullet weights. As these are just prototype bullets, the final weights may very slightly but these came in at 266 gr and 311 grains each. The 266 grain bullets were roughly 1.9" in length and the 311 gr are just over 2.250" in length!!!! For comparision, the 300 gr SMK will on average run around 1.720" in length!!!

I had a very limited number of each as Richard was just curious if they would hold together before building a big run of bullets.

After taking some baring surface measurments, I found the 266 gr bullets had slightly less baring surface then the 300 gr SMK. The max working load I have used with the 300 gr SMK in my personal rifle is 142.0 gr so I decided with the lighter weight bullet and slighly less baring surface, 145.0 gr should be alright. I only had three of these to shoot so I loaded them all up at this level.

I did not believe that my 1-10 twist barrel would keep the 311 gr pills on point with their extreme length but I did want to see if they would hold together out of the 338 AM so I loaded them up over some WC872 from 132.0 gr up to 138.0 gr just for velocity testing and to see if they held together.

I cleaned ol Black Sunshine and to the 100 yard range I headed. Again, we just wanted to see if they held together so that was the reason for the close range shooting.

I set up the chrono and to start things off I fired one round using a 300 gr SMK over 142.0 gr H-50BMG. THis gave a velocity of 3389 fps which is about typical of this load in this rifle. The shot landed where it should have.

I then shot the three 266 gr Al. Tipped RBBTs and will be honest, shooting on 14x on the NF NXS I could not tell if the bullet hole was opening up any. Had I not been able to see the dust kick up from behind the target backer and hear the solid hit from each shot, I would have thought they still came apart.

But every shot kicked up a large dust plumb and had a solid smack as bullets that stay on point do. I walked up to the target and once I got there I could see that they had all went into the same hole. Now we say that alot, bit this was no doubt, all went into the same hole.

1021266_gr_AT_RBBT_accuracy_test-med.jpg

When I got back to the shop I put the calipers to the group and found out this is my personal best 100 yard three shot group with any rifle measuring right at 0.058" for three shots.

Not only was the accuracy extreme, but the three shots tripped the chrono at 3544, 3547 and 3544 fps!!! Even better yet, there were no pressure signs at all. I would expect 3600 fps is fully practical with this bullet in the 338 AM with a long barrel.

My comfortable load with the 300 gr SMK is 3350 fps so bascially this new bullet design will allow a nearly 200 fps boost with an improved BC as well. I am predicting a BC of at least .850 from this bullet and probably higher then that.

Next up were the VERY long 311 gr pills. I knew they would not stay on point and they did not, BUT, the good news is that 5 of the 7 shots landed on paper and all held together including retaining their tips so in the proper twist barrel, these should prove easily up to any stresses the 338 AM can throw at them.

I only got them up to 3120 fps with VERY low pressures. I would not be suprise to easily brake 3200 fps and possibly even push 3300 fps. Even though these bullets do not weigh much more then the 300 gr SMK, they have a much longer baring surface so velocity potential will be less then the 300 gr SMK.

That said, the BC of these bullets in a properly twisted barrel should be totally unreal. I would predict .950 to .975 to be conservative and it would not suprise me at all to have to use a BC of 1.0 to get the the ballistic programs to match up with the actual bullet flight of these bullets.

1021311_gr_AT_RBBT_vs_300_gr_SMK-med.jpg

This pic compares one of the 311 gr pills on the left to a 300 gr SMK on the right. Not much of a comparision!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Add to all that the terminal performance of the very heavy jacket with the aluminum tips and basically you get all the benefits of a VLD solid bullet in BC with the accuracy of a SMK in the lead core design and the expansion characteristic at long range of a Ballistic Tip.

More testing to come but if they continue down the road they are heading on, the only way to discribe these bullets maybe the "wonder" bullet from up north!!!

More to come

Kirby
APS

Kirby,

Nice three-shot group. Did you use any magnification when you were measuing the group? If not, you may want to use some glass to verify the group size. I know when I measure them they always wind up bigger without the glass than the with the glass or the Neil Jones group measuring device...

James

That is some very good news that Richard is getting the heavier jackets to work.

I am happy with the old style 7mm bullets and should have enough to kill about 15-20 more elk. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif But if I should run low I might try the new style.

.058"??? Is that the best you can do?? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Maybe some day, when he gets them perfected, he might make some for my little popgun too. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Come to think of it.....does Richard make any 7mm solids??? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

i only know of a few long range hunters/shooters that used the aluminum tipped a-max bullets and all agreed they were maybe the best combination of accuracy and killing capability for long range.that's what makes the accubonds so good.heavier jacket for up close/high speed and plastis tip for long range expansion.ahhh but i guess everything has to be made of plastic these days.a plastic tip would move the center of gravity back a bit more but to say we're spliting hairs would be an understatement.ES of 3, group of .058, BC we'll say over .8(don't want to be any where near that debate) what's not to like! sure glad i went with a 10 twist, i almost got something a little slower.

Chawlston,

No just eyeballed it, not really that important to me. All I know is its the tightest I have shot with my rifles so far so I will take it and be happy. Anytime there is a 0 after the "." I know I got lucky to some degree. Most of my customers shoot my rifles better then I can but once in a while the sun shines on this young pup as well. Good bullets make things alot easier as well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

BB,

For real long range hits, these new designs should be vastly superior as far as terminal perfomance goes, ballistic performance as well!!

Kirby Allen(50)

SS7mm,

Hey now, I thought that was pretty good for an old flatlander!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

The 7mms are coming I hear. Our biggest problem is getting a certain barrel maker to respond to anything!!! The clock it ticking on that adventure.

Maybe we need some solids in 270 cal as well!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif Inside joke..

Kirby Allen(50)

Dave,

Richard actually looked into the plastic tips but to be honest, getting the equipment set up to make then is terribly expensive even compared to the aluminum tips which Richard can outsource.

I think these will be devastating bullets for big game hunting at long to extreme range. Time will tell but so far things look very good!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Corbin used to make a die set for making aluminum bullet tips from aluminum wire. If it is swagged it should be as accurate as a machined part, and with zero loss of material the may be cheaper than making on a Swiss screw machine....depending of the quantity.

edge.

Edge,

That is a good idea in theory but the tips really need to be made from heat treated aluminum. Aluminum soft enough to swage would deform very easily when in bulk packaging and also when forming bullets and also when bullets are seated in rounds and handled.

If you were careful, in a single shot this would not be a huge deal but in a repeater where the tip would have to handle feeding and also having its nose slammed into the front of the mag box under recoil, the soft tips would not work.

Kirby Allen(50)

I work in an aluminum extrusion factory and I think the smallest round stock we push is about .315 but we run 6060,6063,6005 and 6061 and temper it T4,T5,T6,T52,and T66 getting Webster readings from 2-15 depending on the combination.dont know if I could help but I can get it for the cost of scrap.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.