Another Henson Aluminum tipped Bullet Test

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lightvarmint, you and Greyghost seem to have lost sight of why the guys on Long Range Hunting are interested in a high BC HAT bullet in the first place !! ( LOOOONG RANGE HUNTING ) not 400 or 189 or even 450yds on a nice bull !! We don't need a high BC bullet at those ranges and a 25-06 would have done the same job, with the same result on the deer, quite a bit further too.

The 338 Snipe Tac is capable of taking Elk at twice the range of those three kills with the yardages added up. The question is will the HAT open up and perform on big game at extreme ranges???? At a lower terminal velocity???

Lightvarmit, shooting a truck load of does at 400 yds with a HAT at 3000fps won't prove anything about it's long range capability !!! Lets hear about a deer that you shot through the lungs at 800, 900, or even a 1000yds and Show us the damage!!! If the bullet performs, great, the bullet will sell itself! If it doesn't, fix it !!! No reason to shoot a high BC bullet at big game if it turns into Field Arrow at Long Range!!

Greyghost it's pretty obvious that you're good friends with Lightvarmint or you would be able to see how his bad attitude and Ample arrogance is affecting your business !! --- RHB

Hello,

You have come up with an excellent idea for a project and since you brought it up, I am sure you would be willing to conduct the test(s)....... Specifically, a 25-06 through the brisket and out the shoulder of a 900 lb. elk at 454 yards...... If the 25-06 will perform at this level consistently then a 900 yard shot that you are waiting on with the HATS will be a chipshot (based on velocity and energy comparisons)...

FWIW, I and many friends personally really like the .25 caliber (I have designed several reamers in .25 and had barrels chambered in them in several rifles but not once used on an elk) and used it to obtain many deer used by a Clemson grad student to conduct experiments for his thesis and subsequent publication of his kidney fat index study of whitetail deer..

Please keep us updated on your 25-06 elk testing. Thanks for volunteering.

Lightvarmint

Last edited by a moderator:
Lightvarmint, you and Greyghost seem to have lost sight of why the guys on Long Range Hunting are interested in a high BC HAT bullet in the first place !! ( LOOOONG RANGE HUNTING ) not 400 or 189 or even 450yds on a nice bull !! We don't need a high BC bullet at those ranges and a 25-06 would have done the same job, with the same result on the deer, quite a bit further too.

The 338 Snipe Tac is capable of taking Elk at twice the range of those three kills with the yardages added up. The question is will the HAT open up and perform on big game at extreme ranges???? At a lower terminal velocity???

Lightvarmit, shooting a truck load of does at 400 yds with a HAT at 3000fps won't prove anything about it's long range capability !!! Lets hear about a deer that you shot through the lungs at 800, 900, or even a 1000yds and Show us the damage!!! If the bullet performs, great, the bullet will sell itself! If it doesn't, fix it !!! No reason to shoot a high BC bullet at big game if it turns into Field Arrow at Long Range!!

Greyghost it's pretty obvious that you're good friends with Lightvarmint or you would be able to see how his bad attitude and Ample arrogance is affecting your business !! --- RHB

Hello agian,

Almost forgot..... How much are you willing to pay for these high BC long range bullets?

Lightvarmint

Gentlemen, I am totally confused at all the conflab that is occurring here. Fiftydriver was pleading for someone to get to work and produce a good AL tipped high BC hunting bullet a couple of months ago. Now we have a man that has tackled the problem and either has or is very close to having the answer. The only way to see if they perform to your standards is to obtain some of them and go shoot something with them at the velocity and ranges you are concerned about. If you dont like the Hensons then get some from up North if you can get the manufacturer answer the phone or return an e-mail. Again I have no dog in this hunt but I am beginning to suspect that there is more to this than meets the eye. If Mr Henson produces a projectile that will perform on game and can produce 1/2 min accuracy while slipping through the air with substantially less drag than what is currently available, I will buy them and I dont care how grouchy he is. Mr Henson, hang with the riggin, if you build them they will come.

Interesting post.

Lightvarmint

So, as LV might say, " a picture is worth a thousand lies".

Festus

Actually, besides the issue of the gore in the pictures, the secondary reason is based on a statement of Goodgrouper in that he would not even believe a photo. This made sense to us since if we took the photos then we could have altered them and the potential accusations of altered photos (by us) would be here in print since you are not believing the words, why would you believe one of our photos? So you see, we see not one bit of benefit in posting a photo for you and your "friends" since you are so skeptical of our written words. I don't tink you would trust our photography any more than you trust the written reports.

Lightvarmint

Meanwhile, back at the "point of accuracy", a new world record was just shot with LG 300wsm using .30/ 210gr bullets. I am not interested in how big a hole these bullets will make, rather how large will a 10 shot group be at 1,000 yards! If I get a less the four inch group at 1K, my shot placement ( and yours) will compensate for any lack of expansion as our kill zone hits will be a given. With the high BC potential here, why is there so much concern over how big an exit hole? In my experience, the pertinent question is where is the hole? Looking at the vertical dispersions from unequal length meplats giving differing BC's with normal Sierra type bullets, what is the advantage of a big hole in the 'hams when we could have one smaller hole in the heart?
Overbore

Hello,

Great point..... However these guys are interested in exit holes to help the shooters of poor shot placements track their quarry. Specifically, a shot through the guts and you can still track em down.

Lightvarmint

Tillroot,

I am too darn old and too experienced to be another "Beta Guy for bullets". How may thousand of my ___ River high bc bullets are you willing to buy from me first?

These AT bullets incorporate some great features that have the potential to be highly accurate and have minimal wind displacements at long ranges; however, when the winners in "any sight long range matches" or the 1,000 yard Bench, or Light or Heavy or rail guns or F Class use them, I will encourage the developer and wish him well and comment on what it may take to get them stabilized. ( read a specific fast twist ) Contact Barney Lawton for worlds of his experience in this endeavor, please. He knows and knows he knows---- Cordially, Overbore

The lost rivers were actually very accurate if you could unlock the secret to their accuracy potential. However, even as accurate as they were, they would not expand at all in five live animal tests and one was even in the neck. Even the poly tipped ones would not expand properly for us. But, they are great for shooting paper.

Lightvarmint

Hello,

You have come up with an excellent idea for a project and since you brought it up, I am sure you would be willing to conduct the test(s)....... Specifically, a 25-06 through the brisket and out the shoulder of a 900 lb. elk at 454 yards...... If the 25-06 will perform at this level consistently then a 900 yard shot that you are waiting on with the HATS will be a chipshot (based on velocity and energy comparisons)...

FWIW, I and many friends personally really like the .25 caliber (I have designed several reamers in .25 and had barrels chambered in them in several rifles but not once used on an elk) and used it to obtain many deer used by a Clemson grad student to conduct experiments for his thesis and subsequent publication of his kidney fat index study of whitetail deer..

Lightvarmint

Wow this guy really does have selective reading! I have no dog in this fight at all...but I wouldn't ever buy a bullet from a guy that acts like this!
If you SLOWLY read that post again you will see that 7mmRHB is not talking about shooting an elk with a 25-06. Notice where he says "on the deer" My advice to you would be to tuck your tail, change your username and don't do your company any more damage.

Hello,

Lightvarmint
I never said a word about shooting an Elk with a 25-06 so there seems to be a comprehension problem on your end. Probably due to the Flack you were getting ready to spew so you wouldn't have to address the( Invalid ) long range testing that I pointed out to you !! You have called everyones tests of the HAT bullet Invalid, yet you do your testing at what would be considered Standard Col. Boddington ranges for the masses !!

As far as what I would pay for a good, high BC bullet that actually performs at long range that has yet to be determined. I looked at the 338 Hat bullets on the screen a few months back and thought they might actually be worth the buck fifty if they worked !! Then one day GG walked into my shop with the Hats that had run into a stack of phone books at 2300fps and I was pretty sure they weren't going to be on my shopping list so the price became irrelevant.!!! If the jacket thickness on the 30 cal. bullets is the same as the 338s GG tested , long range performance is questionable at best.

Topping off your latest word Spew by insulting ol' Grouper and his abilities as a long range hunter is pretty sad. You might want to rethink that statement since there is proof otherwise in the pages of LRH!!! I don't think he photoshopped all the pics!!

However, even as accurate as they were, they would not expand at all in five live animal tests and one was even in the neck. Even the poly tipped ones would not expand properly for us. But, they are great for shooting paper.

Lightvarmint

Hmmmmmm, of the several predators I shot with the bronze tipped J-36s they didn't expand explosively but did expand leaving a Quarter size exit on each animal. Elk shot with them, that I say, had the same results. A Quarter size exit with out explosive expansion.

This post can go on forever, without anything substantial being proven, until a few of us actually test the new product.
Although I don't particular like the exchanges that have occured on the previous posts,
I am going to purchase some and try them out and see how they shoot. Hopefully I will also get a chance to shoot deer or hog at long range.
I have a 338 Lapua Improved that shoots 300SMK's like lasers. I know my rifle will shoot, will these bullets work in my rifle? I'll let you all know.

Topping off your latest word Spew by insulting ol' Grouper and his abilities as a long range hunter is pretty sad. You might want to rethink that statement since there is proof otherwise in the pages of LRH!!!

I think LV's character is poking through again. Does he remind you of 3rd grade again? Childish insults and a wild imagination deviod of anything that represents the truth. WOW. This guy has no shame. And where did he learn how to read?????????

Status
Not open for further replies.