New 338AM is Home!

magicofmt

338amscopeandaction.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

338am1.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

338ambreak.jpg - Image - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Just left the great city of Ft Shaw yesterday with my newest toy from Kirby. Joel did a great job on the finish and Kirby's work is spectacular, I know it will shoot! I need to take lessons from Len on taking pictures, they aren't the best and don't do justice to the rifle or Joel and Kirby's work.

338 Allen Mag
Joel Russo Stock
Jewell Trigger at 1 1/4 lbs
32 in. Lilja barrel
Lawton Action
Leupold 8x25 Mark 4

Need a few more reloading parts now and I'll get started with loading and then barrel break-in. I'll be shooting 300 gr SMK's until Richards 265 gr are ready. I can't wait! I don't see the image icon for pictures, sorry???????

very very nice , It looks like you have plenty holding the scope on

338amscopeandaction.jpg

338amscopeandaction.jpg

Last edited:
It weighs about 18 1/2 lbs. It is a Kirby 5 port brake. The Lawton action is the 8000.
Thanks for the replies, I can't wait for that elk or monster muley at 1500 yds to walk out

Nice rifle..... I was scrolling through your picture album... the bore sighter shot looks very very very scary!!! I would of never expected a barrel to split perfectly like that. Hope no one was hurt!

Nice Rig!

Magicofmt,

Your rifle looks awesome, and I bet it shoots very well. Kirby does excellent work.

Your stock is very nice. Joel does nice work too.

What is the diameter of the barrel from shank to muzzle?

I love that brake Kirby designed, that looks so cool. I bet it cuts the recoil down a ton.

Did Kirby say this brake design works better than other brakes?

I have seen were he has built two 338AM with this type of brake, was it for cosmetic reasons or perfromance reasons?

I am going to build a 30-338 Lapua Improved with a 40degree shoulder, and I am trying to decide what type of brake would work best.

Wildcat

Last edited:
I have seen were he has built two 338AM with this type of brake, was it for cosmetic reasons or perfromance reasons?

I am going to build a 30-338 Lapua Improved with a 40degree shoulder, and I am trying to decide what type of brake would work best.

Wildcat

Wildcat,

On my 338AM, I love the way it looks, but it was definitely built for practical purposes. From my understanding, the efficiency of a brake is directly related to the amount of surface area that the gases are working on. His 5 port slab brake has as much surface area as I've seen on a brake. It works great on my 338AM "Betsy". I'd rather shoot Betsy than an un-braked 30-06 from a felt recoil perspective. I'm still in awe of how gentle it shoots!

AJ

Magicofmt,

Thanks for the compliments, I'm glad you're happy with the stock.
I really enjoy making and finishing stocks for custom builds such as yours.
We designed that A-5L you have around the Lawton 8000 action.

I was wondering who's hands that stock would end up in.

Kirby does fine work, and I'm sure it will perform as good as it looks.

Please keep us up to speed when you start shooting it.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.