New Pistol for Home Defense???

3six!!!!!!!!!

Where the hair you been ???

Very ill I should hope , and yes that is correct , you punched out of here without a peep and now you are back !!

Very ill I should hope and now all better I hope !!

JiM B

Thanks for all the info guys, it has been really helpful. I think I have decided to go with the new Springfield Armory XD .45 4" compact model. Again, thanks for all the help!

.357 mag // 125 grain HP bullet = concealed carry
12 guage // 1 less lethal & the rest are #4 shot pellets
.357 = most 1 shot kills
12 guage = best prevention ever!
Two different tools for two different jobs.

A pistol is only used to get you to your rifle/shotgun.

Most handgun ammo will pass straight thru a drywall wall and plum out the side of a vinyl village house. Be careful in the caliber you choose or you could be responsible for the holes in the neighbors houses.

I hang out at a gun shop that sells quite a few handguns and has about 250 on hand at all times. A few of the XD's and a bunch of kimbers have been sent back to the factory for repairs. One kimber made it out of the factory with no rifling in the barrel.

It's hard to pick just one handgun because of the variety of uses. If I had to pick just one to take in a bad moment it would be my Glock 17 with an M6 laser/light. Add a plus two to the mag and you have 20 rounds to pin an enemy down or chase them out of your house firing the whole way. Low recoil in case you're half asleep and I've never heard of someone who wanted to get shot by a 9mm. A shot to the head is a stopper every time anyway! The 9mm is a great round if you buy the proper ammunition. Ammo is cheap so you can afford to practice as much as you want. We all know trigger time makes the shooter!

I'm a big believer in track records, glocks have a long record of flawless functionality. I've never had a glock fail to function in stock configuration unless the ammo was junk. The only other semiauto handguns I can say that for are my nighthawk custom and my HK USP tactical. Both are tackdrivers as well.

First of all a real accurate sefdefense pistol is a mute point. 99 %of time a SD shooting is going to be fast and up close. Any pistol that can do under 4 inchs at 25yards is way more up to the job.

Very accurate pistols are nice I wish all mine could do under a inch at 25 yards. It is way more important that they go bang evey time you pull the trigger.

I heard the statement a pistol is only used to fight your way back to your long gun. Thats ok if you have long gun that is close by. Most of the time it is the pistol that well save you beacuse it is with you when you need it.
Most SD shooting well be long over in the time it takes to get to your long gun. Most of the time your long gun is going to be a longways off unless you are in the miltary or LE.

If even in LE unless you have prior warning that you are getting into a confrontation IE Robbery call ect. Your long gun is going to be in the cruiser. 99% of the time you are going to start and finsh the fight with your sidearm in a very short time at very short ranges. That 20 to ever what feet to your cruiser is going to be along distance if someone is trying to kill you.

Use your long gun if you have it and can get to it with out putting your self in danger.

That said I have carried very thing for double action revolvers on the job to single and double action auto's. Right now I carry a glock 22 when working and a 23 when not most of the with lots of others thrown in as the need as I see comes and goes.

My main woods gun ( thats when Iam spending most of the time in the woods) is a TI 41 mag. yes it goes to town with me if I stop in. My main town gun is a glock 23 but I do carry many other as I need them.

If Iam out hunting rabbits ect with my 22 auto and need to stop and get gas ect. If the crap would hit the fan at that time I guess 10 or so rounds of 22 lr hollow points would have to do the job.

Having a fire arm that works with you is way more important then not having the perfect one with you.

This might seem out of the standard, but besides a short barreled shotgun, for home defense, I use a Ruger Blackhawk. with 4 5/8 barrel 44 mag with 44 special loaded. Simple, nothing to break, easy to hold, shoot, clean, wife loves shooting it, was REAL easy for her to learn to shoot accurately. Never saw a reason for large cap guns for home defense. The Ruger also is my carry gun when hunting out west where there are critters that bite. Kills dear and bear with authority and is just plain fun to shoot,,,would also recommend the same gun in 45 colt caliber. Besides, not too many critters get up with 44 or 45 cal holes in em, so you only usually need 1 shot!!!

For my self, my all around choice would be a 9MM. and the 124 grain Hydra-shock would be the ticket. My Glock 17 has a 19 round magazine loaded with this manstopper. Too bad Winchester discontinued the 147 grain Black Talon. Otherwise that would be my first choice. But if someone insisted on invading the sanctity of my home, he'll be on the receiving end of this. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

[image]http://
IMGP2352.jpg
[/image]

[ QUOTE ]
Glocks are very innacurate. XD's are built much better than Glocks also. Cheaper too. They are just as easy to use as a Glock. IMHO they make Glocks obsolete.

[/ QUOTE ]

meichele, I respectfully disagree with Glocks being inaccurate and even disagree more with them being obsolete.

I have owned and shot Glocks for many years, the list include: G19, G17, G22, G23, G34, and G35. For being a loose gun, I have been impressed how accurate they all have been. I have been in informal local tactical competitions using production guns and have seen many guns including customs jamming up. My Glocks never let me down whether I was shooting or my sons. Shooting from the bench and using iron sights, my Glock 34 would easily group 5 shots within 2" at 25 yards.

Here is a small video of me shooting my Glock 35 in 40

hey eaglet, thats a sweet video! and some fine shooting I might add.

I like a lot of guns, kimbers, kahr's, H&K's, glocks, etc, etc...
Bue when people say that glocks aren't accurate, you just have to smile. I have a 34, and that thing shoots better than I can. While not the prettiest pistol out there, you would be hard pressed to find a more reliable AND accurate shooter.

lovdasnow,
[ QUOTE ]
While not the prettiest pistol out there, you would be hard pressed to find a more reliable AND accurate shooter.

[/ QUOTE ]

/ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Almost the exact way I express my self about glocks. IMO they're the ugliest shooting devices I've seen. My brother, an MD that lives in Honduras, Central America, thinks they're nice looking. Go figure! I've got five glocks on my CCW I'm confident to protect my self and family with any of them but because of their size I enjoy packing the G23 or G19.

Whatever you decide on for home defense, there are a few of things to do.

1. Run enough rounds through the gun that you are confident that when you pull the trigger, it'll go bang. A couple hundred at least. Even so, learn to clear stoppages quickly.

2. Spend enough time shooting and dry firing the weapon that you can handle it instinctively. Remember that you may have to use it when half-asleep, or after you've downed a couple of refreshing beverages.

3. Think about home defense tactics beforehand. Where do you have hard cover? What's behind that wall that you might not want to shoot? If it comes to it, can you actually shoot someone? Plan ahead.

Jerry B.,
It all boils down to what you said. Well said!
I have seen folks clearing stoppages so fast that I was
very impressed. I have not much experience on clearing stoppages because you just don't see them when shooting
glocks but definately something nice to be able to do.
I have done and plan on keep doing lots of dry firing.
Nice post. Thanks!

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.