In the market for a new(er) pistol

Southernfryedyankee

I know what I like and what I have owned in the past. I had a G22 and did not care for the 40 S&W so I have decided to drop back down to 9mm, I have considered the G19 but I know there is more out there than Glock. I like the vids I have seen and reviews of the Ruger SR9, Beretta PX4 Storm, S&W M&P line, H&K USP Compact and possibly the Steyr A1 series of pistols. I will be getting my CCW ASAP and a home defense pistol doubled as a carry pistol is what I am after. I am going Weds to HOPEFULLY shoot some of the M&P's that my friends owns, with all of this being said I am not a supporter or brand whore of anything particular but I know SOMETIMES a good name and reputation has a product that might slip through the cracks and not be up to par. My Brother had mentioned the Sig 250's series but I found the reviews to not be in the area I was looking for, I also did not care for the way it felt in my hand.

I also saw that S&W came out with an SD line and I could not help to tell myself if you buy cheap you get cheap, if anyone has opinions on ANY of the pistols I have mentioned, even the new SD line I would like to hear the pro's and cons. I have smaller hands so large grips may not work well for me.

G19 for me carry it every day in a Kydex holster I made, wife carry's one as well. I had the M&P Glock is just better hands down! I snubbed the glock for about 10 years, went through the sigs, 1911s, m&p etc, finally ended up with a use G19 wife stole it and I bought a new one that was 6 years ago. I have not looked back, done a few tweaks, stippling and cuts for ripping mags out fast etc.

One thing on sig, the quality has gone way way down hill in the last 5 years so be warned!

I've been lookin to. I'm not a pistol/handgun guy at all. The nine that I did have she took in the big D, which I wasn't broke up about at all, it was kind of a ***. Here's what I've come to. I want one that runs like a tractor, thats easy enough most quality do. I don't want one that looks like a tractor too. So that leaves me with XD's, M&P, 92's, 1911's, SR's and a few others. But most importantly one that points naturally and fits my hand naturally. I'm not concerned about a gritty trigger those can be smoothed out (polished). I naturally gravitate to full frame, but that seems kind of pointless since I want it for a carry gun. I'm already set up to load for 9mm so I will probably stay with the caliber for now and get something different down the road. The local gunshops in town have M&P's and a used XD, as well as a SR9c in stock. But I also found a PT92 I can get ahold of for right at 500 (it's calling me). So the price range I'm looking at is 5-650ish. What to do?:rolleyes:

I have owned, shot, carried, just about everything over the past 40 years. A few years back I picked up a plain vanilla Sig P239, 9mm, with tritium sights. It's light, compact, great trigger, and very fast and accurate. Its only an 8 round clip, but for comfort with concealed carry, I have no problem trading that off.

Here is my short list, G19, Walther PPS, S&W shield. Unless your an advanced shooter stay away from smaller pistols, and j frame sized revolvers. The 9mm is a great choice, with modern bullets all the old arguments go right out the window. Here is my daily carry.
0262_zpsc67227be.jpg

0272_zpse4dd5579.jpg

9MM EMP.jpg
This is my everyday carry Springfield EMP 9MM compact, light, easy to conceal,will run any thing you want to feed her, good lookin,(I feel about guns, the way I feel about women if there not good lookin why would you want em around):D and most importantly she shoots where you point her. 9 in the stack 1 in the tube.

I'm a big Sig fan myself, If I didnt already carry a Kahr MK9 Id' be carrying the P239. I love my Kahr alot, its a superb, thin, very shootable subcompact semi auto..as you probably already know the Sigs flat out shoot and they will run all day without hiccups. Ive owned a few glocks in the past but didnt keep them very long as I could never embrace or warm up to the spongy triggers.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.