New 30/375 wildcat

Oh $40 including shipping. If you want them i can send them out and you can just send me a check when you get a chance. If you want i can trade one piece of 375 ruger for a 7 LRM so that i have a case for comparison and so do you? This is a good deal...to tell you the truth i think your pretty cool rich. So im giving them to you pretty cheap. My 7LRM will be back from ceracoating and getting custom rings on thursday and i will update my post by next weekend.

I'll pm you.....rich

Rich I was just wondering your thoughts on your case design in a 338? basically I am wondering what a 250 and 300 grain bullet could be pushed to with this chambering? If it could push a 300 gr berger to 2750-2800fps I would be all about it!. SO the same shoulder angle and everything but instead of 30 cal necked up to 338? any thoughts?

Rich I was just wondering your thoughts on your case design in a 338? basically I am wondering what a 250 and 300 grain bullet could be pushed to with this chambering? If it could push a 300 gr berger to 2750-2800fps I would be all about it!. SO the same shoulder angle and everything but instead of 30 cal necked up to 338? any thoughts?

Hi Thomas.....I think you are right on and in fact I've been thinking the same thing since I built the 300. I believe your 2750-2800' estimate is right in the ballpark for the 300 gr. and I believe the 250 would top 2900'..... Rich

I think it would be closer to 2700fps with a 300gr bullet. It's about like a .340 Weatherby for capacity and should be similar in velocity. I have 2 .338 Baer's (.338-8mm Mag Imp.) that will shoot the 300's about 2700fps. They will shoot 250's 2850-2900fps.

I think it would be closer to 2700fps with a 300gr bullet. It's about like a .340 Weatherby for capacity and should be similar in velocity. I have 2 .338 Baer's (.338-8mm Mag Imp.) that will shoot the 300's about 2700fps. They will shoot 250's 2850-2900fps.

Don't know for sure but I am quoting from a 28" barrel. I know I am outdoing the 300 dakota by a little so I'm guessing the .338 version should be the same?

You might get 2750fps in a 28" barrel but I think you'll be pushing it. One of my .338 Baer's has a 27.5" barrel on it and it just happens to be the one I shoot the most. I shot 300gr AB's through it with a rather warm load of H-1000 and it was running 2690-2700fps. Granted it is throated for 250's and not 300's so there is some to be gained there. A .338 RUM and 300's usually runs 2750-2800 and it has quite a bit more case capacity than either my .338 Baer's or your 30-375 SI.

Hi guys!
I'm getting ready to test out "Mr Quigley" on some long range elk next week and have done a considerable amount of testing to prepare. I wanted to post the following, especially for some of you who may be just getting in to long range. I know that a lot of you already are aware of this, but the pics are pretty revealing. I will likely be shooting at approx. 1100 yards, and, as you know, everything MUST be calculated correctly for this to work. The subject here is "cold bore" vs a warmed up barrel which is what happens when all of us fire a group to zero. I have seen very few rifles which will group the same on the first shot as in follow up shots. Since most of us don't like shooting a warning shot to warm up the barrel, we must know where poi is at cold bore.:D This is also crucial for follow up shots if necessary. This pic clearly shows the affect would be 5 1/2 to 6 inches difference at 1100 yards. My test was to zero dead on at 100yards by firing a 4 shot group and then shoot on consecutive mornings firing the cold bore shot at one bull and the follow up shot at another. I chose 9:00 a.m. so the sun angle would be the same. As you can see, the groups were good and repeatable, but 1/2 moa different. If I were to just go with my zero, my first cold bore shot at an elk at 1100 yards would be nearly 6" low. This alone would not cause a miss, but you can't start out with a 6" error with all the other variables. This was with my 30/375 S.I. and 208 SXR's fired at 3010 fps. DSCF0189.jpg

Last edited:
I think my new 30/375 must be a bear rifle. I can't seem to get a bull in my sights so we have been thinning the bears that seem to be taking over my elk hunting spot and eating everything, including my motorcycle seat, (pic included), sandbags from my blind, and a bar of soap from camp! I shot one with my BAT action build at 608 yards and my partner shot another with my newly rechambered B-78 in the same cartridge at 550. Both were shot with 208 SXR's which proved to be potent bear medicine at that range with pass throughs and no leaving the scene.......RichDSCF0196.jpg

DSCF0203.jpg

DSCF0207.jpg

Let's hope you got the bear that tore up your stuff! Nice shot on the bear. Look's like the bullet impact was dead-centered on the vitals.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.