Need Rem 700/78 Help

ridgewalker

I have an old Rem 78, a 700 clone. Chambered in 30-06 and will still shoot everything from 110 fmjs to 200 Nosler Partitions under 1 MOA…if I do my part and conditions are good. I really like this rifle BUT, when the safety is on, the bolt will open. None of my other 700s do this. Their bolts are locked. Is there something I can do or get installed that will lock the bolt closed when the safety is engaged?
Thanks for any help!

Remington 700 rifles for years had a slot cut on the bottom of the bolt handle area, A metal lever from the safety came up and locked the bolt when the rifles safety was engaged. They even ran a sort of recall, You could return the rifle to have the rifle converted to opening On Safety.
When Remington quit making the 788 they started making the Model 78. It was a 700 action, trigger and barrel, Bead blasted and blued, With a Birch stock. That was about the time they made the Model 700 open with Safety ON, Too.
I have a Model 78, It was affectionally know as Crowbar in my years as a wild life officer. 308 Win. with 1.5 X 4.5 scope.

Thanks Lone Traveler! I'll have to compare the bolts and actions to find this slot. I personally prefer it not opening when on safe. After doing some rough country in the mountains I have found my bolt open and brush stuck in the chamber.
Thanks again for the info!

Every Rem. that I own opens on safe. I like it because it's safe while I'm removing bullets from a blind mag. by racking the bolt.