rem 700 help

mrbb

Ok I have a rem 700 bdl long action, in .300 wby
the gun is about 20 yrs old, has worked great till now.
problem is if i try to load more than one round in the gun, they will not stay in the well( not sure exact term)
it has a spring steel follower, no CLIP,
they will pop up and not stay down if I try to load 2-3 rounds in it.
I cleaned it, took it apart several time, reassembled it, and still same issue.
Over the last 4-5 years, I have only shot it at paper, and thus only loaded it one round at a time!
But was thinking about taking it on a hunt this fall, and tried to load 3 rnds, and it would not work!

How do i correct this problem??

I had a new barrel put on about 10 years ago, but it worked fine after that, Not sure how much longer, as I started to use the gun more for targets(one round at a time) and less as a hunting rifle.
WHY could that be the problem, and if so, can it be fixed/

It went from a .300 weatherby to a .300 weatherby modified( nech stretched out a little!
but it works just fine after i first got it back, hunted whit it sveral times without issues,
just now it will not keep shell in the well, they pop out like crazy just trying to load,
If I hold them down to get one chambered, and then 2 in the well, if I shoot, or try to eject the chambered round, as soon as the bolt opens enought they pop up and need to be corrected before they can be chambered!

I have owned many remington actions/rifles and nevr had this isue before. and like I said, I can see nothing worn, or marks from something causing the problem.

thanks and again, I could use any and all advice/help

Yes, same one in gun since it worked last,
I even tried putting it in wrong! to see if that was the problem, and it still didn't work, so then I swaped it with a different one out of a .338 ultra mag 700 action I have!
same still noesn't work!
looking to the two gun, I can see NO difference in the actions/wells, thus my confusion!
hard to see metal wear any where, or how it could happen from just sitting, or me loading the single shot all the time I did(250+ shots)

any other help??

Any more ideas from this distance would be just a guess. Take it back to the person who barreled it and see what he says. Feed rails just don't wear down under normal use.

Thanks, I was thinking about doing that, But I posted hoping I maybe missed something>

also, I didn't want to be the guy that complains about something that was worked on several years ago, and only now have issue's

Like I said , it worked fine for a few years after he did the barrel work, and I just stiopped using due to outher rifles I prefer to hunt with.
and just target shot this rifle. one round at a time, so I don't know ehen it stopped working for sure!
I was just planning a hunting trip, and thought I would take the gun on a long over due trip for it/
And thats when I found its problem.

If there is wear on the rail( I cannot see anY) can it be fixed, and if so, any idea on costs of something like that?
thanks for all your help/advice,
still welcome more if there can be any!

I don't know what has caused this but it sounds to me like the feed lips on your magazine box are not working properly, as in something or somebody altered them some way. You can buy a replacement box from brownell's for about $12 plus shipping and install it reusing your follower and spring. I had an issue similar to yours with my Savage 110 and installed a new box and solved the problem without a lot of headache.

you could try and bend the lips on magazine box inward a little at a time till it will hold the shells. sounds like it got tweeked some how.

I just went through this with my custom re-build of a 700 ADL to Win Mag. A new mag spring and follower did the trick. You mentioned your rifle was +20 years old....springs weaken. The follower was changed just because I wanted new parts with new parts. $40.00 and bought from Brownells.

I realize that this thread is over 12 years old, but I'd like to know the outcome. It might be useful down the road. I have some very old Remingtons that could develope this problem one day. Thanks, Paul