783 - 700 Bolt knob. Need help

ShootnMathews

I hope someone here can help me out. I have a young shooter who can't afford much and owns a Remington 783 300wm. He wants me to do some work on it for him and one of the things was he would like a better bolt knob. I have searched the internet over and cannot find a bolt on knob for them. One guy on eBay used to make them and then quit. I've found a few threads that say it took minimal inletting on a 700 bolt on knob to make it fit. Can anyone here measure a 783 bolt knob and a 700 bolt knob and verify that for me?? Also can you give me the dimensions of the 783 bolt knob?? My thinking is I'll buy a 700 bolt knob and use my high speed dremel to grind out the inside of the knob shells to fit over the 783 knob and then I'll bed the knob shells to the 783 knob. I just need to make sure that I get a knob wide enough that the 783 knob won't be sticking out the side. Thanks again for any help.
IMG_6077.jpeg

Last edited:
Would be a lot easier to trim the existing bolt knob, thread it and put on a proper replacement.

Another option. Both of these are not threaded.

The KRG and the MDT are the two I'm looking at because they seem to be the easiest to modify. But from what I hear the 700 knobs will not fit on a 783 without modification. And I do t want to permanently modify his bolt know incase he doesn't like it.

You can't always get what you want... Rolling Stones.

You either have him choose one of the above or...

Do what we all do to add a better looking, better fitting bolt knob; machine off the existing bolt knob and thread the stub 5/16x24 and add on any of the several dozen styles available. You cannot use a Dremel to achieve these results which will work properly. There are several gunsmiths that will handle this for you.