Need help choosing scope and how to adjust for distance while hunting

back2bowhunting

I'm considering purchasing a 300 win. mag. Or 300 WSM for a rifle that I plan to use when hunting large fields near home or for trips out west. Game will mostly be deer but may use for elk in the future and who knows what else.

I have typically hunted with smaller caliber rifles with 3-9x40mm scopes. I have a few scopes I'm considering and price will ultimately hep me make my decision. One big question I have is how I will use it for shots 300-500 yds. I don't plan to shoot farther than 500 yds and that will be only after I can't figure out how to get closer.

Question: should I buy a reticle with holdover positions like Zeiss rapid Z reticle or adjust the turrets based on range and wind. If I find adjusting the turrets the way to go then I may not want reticle with holdover positions to reduce clutter and there are some good deals on reticles without holdover positions. My concern is that I find it difficult to imagine walking or crawling into position and then having to adjust two turrets before taking a shot especially in low light conditions. Am I missing something or is that not difficult to do in hunting conditions? How do you easily and quickly see the turret positions when making adjustments in prone position with little light? I guess I'm trying to convince myself I will adjust turrets but I find it hard to imagine.

I appreciate any input on how you make adjustments for distance and wind in hunting conditions where you are walking etc and not sitting in a stand.

The 3 scopes I'm considering (& appreciate your input here too):

1) Zeiss conquest hd5 5-25x50 rapid z 800
2) leupold vx6 52mm
3) Swarovski z5 (not sure I can convince myself to spend this much)

My main concern is clear glass with excellent light transmission.

Thanks in advance.

I recently purchased a Mepota Meopro 3.5-10x40 from CamerlandNY ($350) and got a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10x40 ($450) and will be doing a head-to-head review within the next couple weeks when I have the time. Either of these fine scopes deserve your consideration. They both have excellent glass and light transmission for the price.

I recently purchased a Mepota Meopro 3.5-10x40 from CamerlandNY ($350) and got a Bushnell Elite 4500 2.5-10x40 ($450) and will be doing a head-to-head review within the next couple weeks when I have the time. Either of these fine scopes deserve your consideration. They both have excellent glass and light transmission for the price.

When you do your comparison, may I request a low light test also?

I vote for the Meopta for its excellent glass even though I love my Bushnell ERS 3.5 - 21 x 50 tactical scope with its Horus H59 reticle.

BUT... if you want to always know the exact range then buy a Burris Eliminator III laser rangefinder scope for about $1,000. It has decent (not great) optics and a very accurate rangefinder that lights the proper MOA based vertical reticle dot for the range displayed. Yep, that's right, the correct hold dot is lighted. You can then hold left or right for wind on the reticle's "Christmnas tree" dot display.

Eric B.

There is lots of preference as to scope reticles and dialing or both. It will kind of depend on how you learn it. I think most like both. I personally like a plain cross hair and just dial the solution. Even with the MOA reticle I prefer to dial if I can.

As far as in the field solutions go, I tape a drop chart on the but of my rifle and match it with the ranged yardage to target and dial the solution. If there is not enough time for that then there is not enough time to make the shot. This is easier with exposed turrets, although most of mine are covered.

The other thing we do is hunt in a pair. One guy on the rifle concentrating on setting up to shoot and the other figuring out the solution. Once the shooter is in place the spotter has the solution and tells the shooter what it is. Shooter then just dials or holds the reticle for the dope provided.

I do know that if I am in a big hurry to get everything ready I will probably not make a good shot. So I do not take the shot if it is hurried and or not comfortable.

My .02

Steve

Anyone know how much elevation adjustment the MeoPro 3.5-10x44 has? I don't see it in the specs anywhere.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.