Need a advice on pierced primer

I inherited a MONTANA Rifle Company 300 WSM from a friend who passed away. I took it out to shoot with his reloads. I have attached a photo of what happened to the primers. My research has me believe that there is too much pressure in the case.

I bought some factory loads and there were no problems with pierced primers.

Componets used are:
Nosler Cases
180 Grain Accubond
Federal Match 215 Magnum Primers
64 Grains of Hybrid 100V (Max Load in Nosler book)
COAL is 2.850
Avg velocity 3082 FPS for shots fired

I have reloaded for 25 years and this has never happened to me. What would you do if you were me?

a. Pull the bullets remeasure and reduce powder charge to 62 grains

b. Reseat the bullets further in the case to get off the lands and therefore reduce pressure.

c. Something else? Please explain.

Thank you!
I inherited a MONTANA Rifle Company 300 WSM from a friend who passed away. I took it out to shoot with his reloads. I have attached a photo of what happened to the primers. My research has me believe that there is too much pressure in the case.

Componets used are:
Nosler Cases
180 Grain Accubond
COAL is 2.850

I have reloaded for 25 years and this has never happened to me. What would you do if you were me?

b. Reseat the bullets further in the case to get off the lands and therefore reduce pressure.

Thank you!
FWIW..... I'd get a Nosler manual and see what the starting load/recipe dictates. Then use a collet type bullet puller to break down 5 rounds. Reload 1 each using the Nosler ladder.
If you can't get a Nosler manual then call'em. Best of luck!
Use their recommended primer choice.

Sorry about your friend.
If it was me I'd want to work up my own load myself even if it wasn't piercing primers, if for nothing else, consistency in my own process with my equipment especially using my own scale.

Check headspace. I had a similar problem with a new rifle while working up loads.

If the case shoulders have been pushed back too far (excessive shoulder bump) the primer backs out of the primer pocket further than normal. This allows the primer to back out and punch the center out of the primer. Meaning the firing pin acts like a cookie cutter and punches the hole in the primer.

If the case shoulders have been pushed back too far (excessive shoulder bump) the primer backs out of the primer pocket further than normal. This allows the primer to back out and punch the center out of the primer. Meaning the firing pin acts like a cookie cutter and punches the hole in the primer.

Maybe, but the OP said he shot some factory ammo and that stuff generally has plenty of extra headspace and he didn't have any issues shooting that.

I'm VERY sorry for the OP's loss of a great friend, and I say this with all do respect, but I wouldn't shoot anymore of that ammo period and would start fresh with my own loads worked up for that rifle.

Componets used are:
Nosler Cases
180 Grain Accubond
COAL is 2.850

Thank you!

I'd like to suggest starting from scratch, start with the basics and then go from there. No disrespect to the person who reloaded this ammunition, however it appears from your photos that you certainly have a serious problem with the load data, the components used to reload (i.e. primers/powder/bullets/brass) or process used to make the reloads. You have further supported this through purchasing factory ammunition and have not had any problems whatsoever with the rifle. Any of the components could be compromised in some manner from the powder, primers, bullets or the brass. It it were me, I would scrap the entire lot of reloads and start out fresh then you know what you have and what you are working with.

The primers don't look excessively flattened and case heads also don't show signs of pressure. I would suspect a primer problem unless the cases had excessive head space. Is it possible the the cases were primed with pistol primers?

Guys thanks for the advice, education, and for taking the time to offer pics and thoughts. It's one of the reasons why I like this LRH forum.

Also thanks for the thoughts on my friend. We talked reloading all the time. So it's great to have an alternative to chew on different reloading things.

I have decided to pull the bullets, dump the powder, drop the primers, inspect and measure the brass, dump the brass as needed, resize the brass and start over with my own loads starting with the lightest load in the Nosler book and work up.
Again Thank You.

One thing you MUST DO, is tear down that bolt and find all those punched out indents.
If you don't, they will end up jamming your firing pin.

As to the pierced primers, I would measure the protrusion before I did anything else.

Cheers.

Sound advice. I have already taken the bolt apart cleaned and inspected. Then after I have shot factory ammo through the rifle with no pierced primers. I attached the photos of these in an earlier post.

A question for you...
Do you live in an area with extreme temperature changes?......
Maybe these loads were for the cold season as to a grain or so less for the warmer season.....these loads could just be a late season hunting load.....and primers may not get pierced during that cold season....

Good question. I live in MT. Shot them at 20 degrees. So not sure that was it. I have decided to dumping the loads later today and start over. Thanks for your thoughts.

Componets used are:
Nosler Cases
180 Grain Accubond
COAL is 2.850

Thank you!
Just looking at the flow back around your spent primers (attached Photos) I would concur that you seem to be loading this round a little to hot. I did not observe any powder residue around the primer pockets but just to be prudent back off at least 10 % and work up your loads carefully. As you know anything that has been machined has tolerances. Within these tolerances there are variances. These are just the facts. You there fore must treat every firearm as an individual case. So in closing I agree with your initial assessment. Good Luck I know you will sort it all out !

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.