Pierced a primer on my 280 AI need info?

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by elmerdeer, Apr 1, 2009.

1. elmerdeer

elmerdeer Well-Known Member

I was doing load development with my new 280AI and I pierced a primer. It was with 64grs of RL-22 and 140gr accubonds with my bullets seated .015"off the lands COL was 3.345" and my velocity was for a 10 shot string was between 3197 to 3267 as the high. the primer pierced on the 3rd shot which had a velocity of 3205, the rest of the rounds did not pierce any of the primers but they were a little fletter.I was using brand new Nosler brass and CCI BR 210 primers. In nosler's book the charge is a Max charge and the velocity is the same as I was getting, so I am wondering if it was a faulty primer or am I in DANGEROUS territory? My barrel is a Krieger 1-9.5 twist in Win Featherweight countour.
    Thanks
    Elmer

2. Shortmagman

Shortmagman Well-Known Member

I don't own a 280AI but I do own and reload two guns that are very close. I own a 280 Rem in a Model 700 CDL and I have loaded that gun with RL-22 and 140 grain bullets. I got up to 59.5 grains with the 140 Barnes TSX. I also load a 7mm SAUM. It is supposed to give at least as much velocity as your 280 AI. I have yet to reach your velocity (3200+) with a 140 gain bullets without producing too much pressure. So my guess is that you have too hot a load and you need to back off the powder. Both my guns have a 24 inch barrel.

3. Ridge Runner

Ridge Runner Well-Known Member

get win. brass, for all intensive purposes nosler is overpriced junk if your pushing it a bit, and from your velocity/barrel length numbers your running it pretty hard. My Gibbs runs 140's at 3240 fps with a 29.5" tube.
    I tried nosler 270 brass to form 6.5 gibbs. I was blowing primers with the same fireform loads that the rem and winchester took in stride. I'll never use it again!
    RR