Pierced a primer on my 280 AI need info?

elmerdeer

I was doing load development with my new 280AI and I pierced a primer. It was with 64grs of RL-22 and 140gr accubonds with my bullets seated .015"off the lands COL was 3.345" and my velocity was for a 10 shot string was between 3197 to 3267 as the high. the primer pierced on the 3rd shot which had a velocity of 3205, the rest of the rounds did not pierce any of the primers but they were a little fletter.I was using brand new Nosler brass and CCI BR 210 primers. In nosler's book the charge is a Max charge and the velocity is the same as I was getting, so I am wondering if it was a faulty primer or am I in DANGEROUS territory? My barrel is a Krieger 1-9.5 twist in Win Featherweight countour.
Thanks
Elmer

I don't own a 280AI but I do own and reload two guns that are very close. I own a 280 Rem in a Model 700 CDL and I have loaded that gun with RL-22 and 140 grain bullets. I got up to 59.5 grains with the 140 Barnes TSX. I also load a 7mm SAUM. It is supposed to give at least as much velocity as your 280 AI. I have yet to reach your velocity (3200+) with a 140 gain bullets without producing too much pressure. So my guess is that you have too hot a load and you need to back off the powder. Both my guns have a 24 inch barrel.

get win. brass, for all intensive purposes nosler is overpriced junk if your pushing it a bit, and from your velocity/barrel length numbers your running it pretty hard. My Gibbs runs 140's at 3240 fps with a 29.5" tube.
I tried nosler 270 brass to form 6.5 gibbs. I was blowing primers with the same fireform loads that the rem and winchester took in stride. I'll never use it again!
RR

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.