Need a advice on pierced primer

Josebigsky

I inherited a MONTANA Rifle Company 300 WSM from a friend who passed away. I took it out to shoot with his reloads. I have attached a photo of what happened to the primers. My research has me believe that there is too much pressure in the case.

I bought some factory loads and there were no problems with pierced primers.

Componets used are:
Nosler Cases
180 Grain Accubond
Federal Match 215 Magnum Primers
64 Grains of Hybrid 100V (Max Load in Nosler book)
COAL is 2.850
Avg velocity 3082 FPS for shots fired

I have reloaded for 25 years and this has never happened to me. What would you do if you were me?

a. Pull the bullets remeasure and reduce powder charge to 62 grains

b. Reseat the bullets further in the case to get off the lands and therefore reduce pressure.

c. Something else? Please explain.

Thank you!

Attachments

• 23F824E7-FA06-4712-BF04-BC0F8CB0E581.jpeg
    23F824E7-FA06-4712-BF04-BC0F8CB0E581.jpeg
    120.1 KB · Views: 236
You're braver than I am because after the first pierced primer from shooting someone else's reloads I would have stopped shooting that ammo all together, let alone continue shooting ammo with multiple pierced primers.

I'm not a big fan of shooting other peoples loaded ammo so I'd probably pull it all and work up my own load for that gun.

For what it's worth, that load is right at max seated off the lands, if that load is seated out to touching, it'll spike up pressures in a hurry and that's likely why you're getting pierce primers. I don't think it's a primer issue but rather a over pressure issue.

Yeah I normally would agree on shooting others reloads. However this man was not just another guy he was like my brother. We reloaded hundreds of rounds together. Spent a ton of days burning it up. Good memories.

Below from the Sierra reloading manual.

BLHD0lB.jpg

Below a CCI 400 small rifle primer with a .020 primer cup fired in a AR15 rifle. It is recommended that you use primers with a .025 cup thickness with high pressure loads.

FP14bKZ.jpg

All comments very helpful. Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time bigedp51 for sending the article and the photos. This is very helpful to know.

I did think about the firing pin and disassembled it cleaned it and checked the tip of the pin. It seemed "normal" to me but I am certainly no expert. I think I will have it checked by a smith.

the other thing was when firing factory ammo the gun performed perfectly striking the primers as expected.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 141
Have you tried other ammo thru the rifle? Aside from verifying the firing pin as a problem, I would lean toward pulling the bullets and doing your own ladder. RIP to your "brother" and hope you get some slobs with that rifle in his memory.

I did try factory ammo and it performed without any hard hits or pierced primers. See the photo I just posted above of the factory ammo.

I like the idea of checking the slop in the chamber with the handloads. Perhaps the shoulders got pushed back during sizing and they have too much room. Years ago I had similar problems with a Mauser I was working on and pierced a few primers.

I've seen a few posts like this on this site some said that there may be bullet weld causing pressure also their answer was to try and seat the bullet a little more ,just 1 or two thousands to break it free from the case neck . I had an AR that I got some lube in the chamber once and it pierced the primers until I cleaned the chamber real well when I got it home .

You're braver than I am because after the first pierced primer from shooting someone else's reloads I would have stopped shooting that ammo all together, let alone continue shooting ammo with multiple pierced primers.

I'm not a big fan of shooting other peoples loaded ammo so I'd probably pull it all and work up my own load for that gun.

For what it's worth, that load is right at max seated off the lands, if that load is seated out to touching, it'll spike up pressures in a hurry and that's likely why you're getting pierce primers. I don't think it's a primer issue but rather a over pressure issue.
Couldn't agree more. I do not shoot any reloads but mine. I got a 243 Ai one time on here and guy sent me 100 loaded rounds which were supposed to be "precision loads". Took it out and had a pierced primer on first shot so I packed up and went home. Disassembled the rounds only to find about a 3 gr spread in powder charge. Text the guy and asked him what does he measure powder with only to find out he just uses Lee scoops and the chart that comes in the box lol. I personally measure to the kernal with lab grade scale and I really didn't know their were people that just used the scoops in real life other than as an initial thrower prior to trickling up or something.

If I was a betin
All comments very helpful. Thank you!

Thank you for taking the time bigedp51 for sending the article and the photos. This is very helpful to know.

I did think about the firing pin and disassembled it cleaned it and checked the tip of the pin. It seemed "normal" to me but I am certainly no expert. I think I will have it checked by a smith.

the other thing was when firing factory ammo the gun performed perfectly striking the primers as expected.

If I was a betting man, I'd bet they were an old lot of Winchester primers. It looks like they are leaking around the perimeter of the primer. I had a similar problem with burned through Winchester primers with two rifles and they paid to have new bolts installed (bolt face was pitted). If you can check what primers were used or if any were left over I'd contact the manufacture.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.