My zero changed how ?

I never said I had arrived . I'm new at this game . But one year into doing it and no one showing me how to even get started . 3 guns now set up , doing my own reloading and trouble shooting . Without this forum it would have Ben ruff . The reading and research I have into this at this point is crazy. Not to leave out I'm in $15,000 . A wise man asks questions from those that know and then from that does his research reading and tries to come up with answers that's how I try to do it .
And thank you to every one who has helped me down this new road in me and my sons lives ! We are having a blast ! Not arrived but getting better .

I had a Leupold MK4 that would change poi close to a minute every time I would pull it out and shoot it. It would hold good groups but every new shooting session I would have to re-zero it. If this is a reoccurring event then the scope may be suspect.
There could be a slippage of the scope or mounting hardware. I just recently had this happen. The scope is slipping under recoil, so I'm gonna add another ring. The slippage is small but noticeable on the tube.
Mirage could be thrown in there. Even though the temp was higher on your previous shoot you can still have bad mirage at 60 degrees.
As mentioned, shooter error on the part of position or parallax...
There are plenty of reasons this could have happened,

Probably just from changing shooting position, going from a bench to the ground changes things in how the gun acts and how you interact with the gun during recoil.
+1

I always hit low going from prone to sitting, some people hit high.

I do all my testing and sighting in prone, then usually toward the end of a batch of shells i go shoot in my favorite few positions and see what happens.

More often than not its something to do with how you are loading the rifle, or how the recoil moves your body.

Practice helps add some consistency to the problem.

If it's a long range weapon keep your ammo in your pocket ;)

Yep, if you are worried about powder temp then just keep control of it. When it's cold out I may even place a disposable hand warmer in my ammo holder. The ambient air temp is totally different, nothing can about that after the bullet leaves the barrel. Gotta compensate before hand.

I agree that once sited in off bench, keep it the same, after session, shoot a check in group at the 100 yard mark to make sure it is still punching holes from your first site in group. "they should be in the same area as first group if the optics were not adjusted through the day.

Even if it's the next day if temps are close too the day before, I normally do my beginning and end day shoots at 200 yards that gives me a better idea between the 2 groups.

Both for me on 5 shot vollies need to remain with in 2" or 3" group all in the same area when the 2 targets are over lapped.

Take the time to check action to stock connection incase either bolt has not loosened off.

Re-check scope bases and scope in rings to make sure it is not sliding back, I use white tape on scope as my marker too one of the scope rings too make sure it has slid in either direction.

Most case it could slide back.

Check check check and keep it the same pron, sitting, kneeling and standing.

PS:

If one notice that shooting range groups over the months are not constant, then consider what might of changed.

As mentioned, eliminate all the easy stuff first, then considerate on one thing at a time.

Changing too many things at one time makes it harder to pin point the puzzle,,, "for me at least".

Read a bit of info on this forum as there are some awesome folks that know much more then I.

Think of each component separate as there would be ruffly 100+ factors, then combine them into filing cabinets,,, some cabinets will have 10 files that cover that section,,, other cabinets might have 2. "each cabinet of files holds the key".

Once things are dialed in, it will be boring to got to the range as you know you'll hit bulls eyes day in and day out at 100 and 200 yard mark,,, same for 16" metal gong that I refuse to miss at 500 yards. LOL.

All true less missing the metal target more with age.

I miss my steady hands of youth.

Western Canada Pal Don

Thanks , I will get it I'm thinking I know what happened.
May be a little of I'm getting older lol .
Becouse my 15 year old son is doing things the same way and he is kicking my *** !
600 yard shots 1 inch of bulls eye , shooting from a chair and a bog pod hitting a 6 inch gong at 600 . I can't . I need to shoot prone .
The smile on his face is is priceless lol !

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.