Zero change with elevation

sliceman

I am an Eastern hunter currently setting up a long range hunting rig using a 7mm RM Sendero. I plan to obtain a G7 rangefinder to use with a G7 scope so that I can dial for distance. My question is if I hunt at 5-8000 ft elevation. will I have to re-zero at 200 yds (the original 200 yd zero being done at 500 ft elevation) so the rangefinder will be accurate?

Only if the airline drops your rifle. At 200 yards with elevation change your zero might change a thousandth of an inch. At 600 yards it will change significantly but that's why you bought that fancy rangefinder.

Depending on which direction I decide to drive I'm 30 minutes from 200' elevation or 6000'. I can be below sea level or at 11000' in a little over an hour. I don't have to reservoir for any of the places I shoot.

I am an Eastern hunter currently setting up a long range hunting rig using a 7mm RM Sendero. I plan to obtain a G7 rangefinder to use with a G7 scope so that I can dial for distance. My question is if I hunt at 5-8000 ft elevation. will I have to re-zero at 200 yds (the original 200 yd zero being done at 500 ft elevation) so the rangefinder will be accurate?

The Temp change may be a bigger problem. My 338WM loves the Hornady Superformance 185 GMX. Superformance Mfg. told me the 3,080 FPS (on the box) was tested at 70 F and at ZERO F went to 2,997 FPS. That 83 MV-FPS drop was put into my ZEISS firing solution program so my Optimum Power settings would true my Rapid Z 800 crosshairs (it also uses the Elevation). Depends on your powder selection what the Temp change will do to you. gun)
GOOD luck.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.