Zero for big elevation change

Interestingly, while I have used both 100 and 200 yard zeros with success, for my 1000 yard hunting I like a 200 yard zero. This appears to go against most of the conventional wisdom. Given a precise 200 yard zero settting with no wind influence, the error factor(particularly for parallax) between a 100 yard and 200 yard zero, measured to 1000 yards are 5x vs 10x, or half the error factor for the 200 yard zero. Atmospheric variations do not effect the zero betwen 100 and 200 yards for the 300-5000ft elevations I hunt. I am now going on my fifth season without touching the 200 yard zero on my 6.5x284, and it's still nuts in POI out to 1000 yards.

Greyfox's explanation of your error compounded using a short distance zero vs. a longer distance, is "part of my reasoning"....for my longer zero. I'm blessed with living in an area of near nothing wind most os the time.....makes a long distance zero much easier. The other and primary reason for my longer zero distance is, at least through my experience is.....most shots at big game occur inside of 400 yards. Assuming a rezero in atmospheric conditions similar to the hunting conditions.....no range finders, dope charts (except for wind), needed. The additional time needed to acquire your range(400 and under) could be better used setting-up for the shot....sometimes your trophy may only offer you a brief period of time to make the shot. If you know that you have the time, by all means range the shot. However, sometimes the animal can "vanish" into a little cut/drop-off you didn't see....never to be seen again! memtb

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts