My first wildcat! =)

New twist...

Things have taken a different twist and the 35 caliber is on hold for now. I have a serious problem with wanting to push something fast and flat. I have a friend who's designing a very high BC, CNC machined copper quarter-bore hunting bullet and have pushed that to the front of my to do list.
I changed my design a few times after chatting back and forth with Kiff and have created a monster! It's based on .404 Jeffery and will be formed with Bertram's awesome brass. I'm using Jim Borden's new Ridgeline hybrid-style action for this round to get a bit more length out of the fat little magnum. I should easily beat the 257 Weatherby with my case design and satisfy my need for a hot screamer =)
I still plan to put the 358 together down the road, but it's expensive to get reamer, dies, barrel, etc for each caliber and will have to sit tight with this 257 for now. I plan to add the 358 barrel and run as a switch barrel system.
Life is always evolving as we go through it and I'm just embracing the ride for now. Really enjoying playing with all of this.

Re: New twist...

Things have taken a different twist and the 35 caliber is on hold for now. I have a serious problem with wanting to push something fast and flat. I have a friend who's designing a very high BC, CNC machined copper quarter-bore hunting bullet and have pushed that to the front of my to do list.
I changed my design a few times after chatting back and forth with Kiff and have created a monster! It's based on .404 Jeffery and will be formed with Bertram's awesome brass. I'm using Jim Borden's new Ridgeline hybrid-style action for this round to get a bit more length out of the fat little magnum. I should easily beat the 257 Weatherby with my case design and satisfy my need for a hot screamer =)
I still plan to put the 358 together down the road, but it's expensive to get reamer, dies, barrel, etc for each caliber and will have to sit tight with this 257 for now. I plan to add the 358 barrel and run as a switch barrel system.
Life is always evolving as we go through it and I'm just embracing the ride for now. Really enjoying playing with all of this.

Good luck with your project Wil! You may want to double nitride your barrel:D

Uh oh, next thing you know you will be designing bullets. That is the evolution trail you are on. :D I speak from experience.

Steve

Uh oh, next thing you know you will be designing bullets. That is the evolution trail you are on. :D I speak from experience.

Steve

It's quite an exciting roller-coaster to be on and I can't imagine eventually designing bullets, but wouldn't be opposed to it. Realistically, I think it'd be fun to design something the masses would enjoy and start selling it. Been in sales forever and have found it to be my calling, but do have enough background/interest in the fluids side of mechanical engineering to understand some of the bullet design stuff. =) Would be interested to chat with you sometime about your path.

It's quite an exciting roller-coaster to be on and I can't imagine eventually designing bullets, but wouldn't be opposed to it. Realistically, I think it'd be fun to design something the masses would enjoy and start selling it. Been in sales forever and have found it to be my calling, but do have enough background/interest in the fluids side of mechanical engineering to understand some of the bullet design stuff. =) Would be interested to chat with you sometime about your path.

Email me at [email protected]

Steve

Just wanted to add an update on here...
Can't say much about the bullet design yet. Like I said before, it's a copper CNC made bullet (takes 1.5 minutes to cut one bullet!) that will be able to handle some extreme speeds from my rifle. The BCs are out of this world for a quarter-bore and will rival/beat most 6.5mm bullets currently available on the market. I should be getting pics of performance on game in the coming weeks that I'm actually able to share. Until then, I'll say that the ones that have been shared up to this point are absolutely gruesome! I have no doubt they'll be capable of taking elk out to some long ranges for y'all that like to really stretch it out.
Really looking forward to sharing this experience with y'all! Happy Thanksgiving Weekend!

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.