My 6.5 Sherman, first custom rifle, first wildcat.

Mitch Rapp

There is a long story that explains how I got this rifle, you can find the details in this thread http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/christmas-build-challenge-164001/

I will sum it up by saying it was a gift from some friends, many of whom I have never met, and some who I have only met on here or via phone. I did get to meet the gunsmith who built it, J E Custom, also a member here, and spent a wonderful time chatting with him and some others about shooting.

So far I have only fired 5 rounds, have to turn the necks on my brass before shooting more, this is my first wildcat so there are some tools I have to pickup. That part of it is also a lot of fun. Having a wildcat always sounded fun, but also intimidating to be honest. Rich (elkaholic on the forum, and the designer of the Sherman wildcats) has been a great help, and I am certain I will be on the phone with him many more times before long!

Started this thread so I can post updates without clogging up the Christmas thread, so there is a lot more to come.

Specs on the rifle: Remington 700 LA, blueprinted by JE Custom, Krieger sendero countour barrel, HS precision stock, bedded by JE Custom, Timney trigger, and the scope is a Vortex Viper HST.

For bullets I have 143 ELD X bullets to start with, and may pick up some Bergers to try as well. The powder I am starting out with is Reloder 26. My first 5 rounds were 59 grains, and showed pressure signs, so after I turn the necks I am going to back down a bit and see what happens.

Attachments

• 20160401_211123.jpg
    20160401_211123.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 188
Wow Mitch, that is one great looking rifle!!! I'm sure it will shoot as good as it looks. I hope you're able to kill some critters with it this fall and for many years to come.

Nice looking rig!

I went with the 6.5 Sherman for my first custom as well - I haven't had a ton of time to mess with it so far, but I've been pleased with what it's done with forming loads.

That's a gorgeous rifle! From what I heard, you more than deserve it =)
Check out RL33 for higher speeds with the heavier bullets and Marshal with Matrix sells a sweet shooting 150gr vld I'm pretty sure will kill anything in the lower 48 =)
Enjoy the road less travelled with Rich's wildcat. You'll love it!

Any updates? Just found out about this new cartridge and am very curious about it.

Here are a couple of groups, both shot at 200 yards.

Pretty happy with those, and half MOA is about what I have been getting across the board. I am having a little bit of a problem wother the ELD-X bullets. Showing pressure signs at what should be starting loads. Will be trying some other bullets to try to figure that out. Overall the rifle shoots like a dream, half MOA with no load tuning for accuracy yet seems very good to me!

Mitch, spent the last hour or so reading through the other thread and your story is a testament of His love. I pray that you and your wife are doing well today. Looks like a shooter for sure. Should put the smack down on an OK Whitetail.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts