My first wildcat! =)

wilkup

I finally decided to take the plunge and put something together. I've tiptoed around this for several years, not quite willing to commit to the trail and uncertainty but in the past weeks I've decided I'm going for it!
I'm working with PTG to get the reamer built. I'm not sure how far out a completed project is, but it feels awesome to have something to be working on again =) I'm chasing 358 Norma performance from my short action with WSM shells. My goal is to get a 225gr Accubond up to 3000' or as close to that number as possible.
I'll be using a stainless Shilen barrel finished at 23'' and will be adding a brake to it. The action will be a CRF Fierce with detachable magazine.
I'm really looking forward to the journey and learning from this new experiment. Hopefully it turns out as I hope/want!

I finally decided to take the plunge and put something together. I've tiptoed around this for several years, not quite willing to commit to the trail and uncertainty but in the past weeks I've decided I'm going for it!
I'm working with PTG to get the reamer built. I'm not sure how far out a completed project is, but it feels awesome to have something to be working on again =) I'm chasing 358 Norma performance from my short action with WSM shells. My goal is to get a 225gr Accubond up to 3000' or as close to that number as possible.
I'll be using a stainless Shilen barrel finished at 23'' and will be adding a brake to it. The action will be a CRF Fierce with detachable magazine.
I'm really looking forward to the journey and learning from this new experiment. Hopefully it turns out as I hope/want!

I know the feeling and excited for you. Good luck on your project build.

Cheers!

Ed

Is it a 358 WSM?

It should be pretty easy to neck up from 325 WSM. I easily found a source for 325 WSM:

https://www.grafs.com/retail/catalog/category/categoryId/3815?

I also typed in 358 WSM and discovered it has a name in Australia, the 35 Sambar.

http://www.gunsgame.com/images/jan_mar2003/big/35sambar.jpg

Here is a short description on another forum:

"I have been doing some reading on the 358 WSM, otherwise know in Australia as the 35 Sambar. Cartridges of the World 11th Edition by Frank C. Barnes has it listed as a Wildcat Cartridge developed by Breil Jackson. The article on page 214 states that the 35 Sambar is a 300 WSM necked up with no other changes. The article also stated that 2700 fps can be achieved with 250 grain Speer GS bullets from a 23" barrel."

--------------------------------------------

Here is a link on some load data from this link:

(358 WSM) (link: 35 Sambar (358 WSM))

Whelen's Northwoods Trails 35 caliber site - 35 Whelen, 358 Winchester, 356 Winchester, and other great 35s discussed

The hottest load with a 225 was just under 2900 with RL-17. See below

75/ReL 17
- close to being all I can fit in at this COAL

225 Nosler Partition
no crimp
2.850 COAL
approx .030" to lands

2892, 2894 fps instrumental
- no measureable case head expansion with this load, primers in good shape with slightly rounded edges, no sticky bolt lifts at all
4206 ft.lbs
Taylor KO - 33

WLR or WLRM (same velocity)
- good hunting accuracy
- see my first target with this load and its long range potential here
- nickel plated WW brass 300WSM and RP 325WSM necked up
70/ReL 17 - 2709
72/ReL 17 - 2785
74/ReL 17 - 2845
74.5/ReL 17 - 2871
75/ReL 17 - 2892, 2894

Let us know how it goes. I almost made a 358 RCM around 10 yrs ago. Ended up with a 338 RCM instead. Still have the 35 itch. This would be a perfect SA round with the shorter 358 bullets.

Thanks guys. I've known about the Sambar for a few years and I'm looking for more power than that. I also really love the look of the steep shoulder look of improved rounds. Mine will be a little bit different and potentially more complicated than just opening the neck up to 358 on a 325 piece of brass. I'm using RWS because of its ability to handle a bit higher pressures.

I have a phone meeting scheduled for tomorrow with Dave and Rick to discuss the dimensions of my round. I will be steepening the shoulder angle to max effectiveness and removing as much taper as possible. I find the ultra steep shoulders to be very good looking =)
Once the cartridge design is finalized, I will sending the rifle out for the barrel work, which should only take a week. I really hope to have everything back and start working up loads by the first week of November!
Any ideas on what to name my first wildcat? Right now I'm thinking of calling it the 360 Kilcup Improved...

Wil.....I am not sure what mods you are planning for the WSM, but just a word of caution. If you shorten the case, you will have difficulty getting rid of the doughnut at the base of the neck because of the VERY thick brass in the shoulder which will become neck. Also, just pushing the shoulder back in the first place is not easy for the same reason. Good luck with your project......Rich

Wil.....I am not sure what mods you are planning for the WSM, but just a word of caution. If you shorten the case, you will have difficulty getting rid of the doughnut at the base of the neck because of the VERY thick brass in the shoulder which will become neck. Also, just pushing the shoulder back in the first place is not easy for the same reason. Good luck with your project......Rich

I'm not going to shorten the case. If anything, I may shorten the neck to 7mm WSM dimensions to increase capacity. I'm not trying to fire anything heavy for this caliber, just looking for a good middleweight 200-225 grain bullet that will give me 3000' out of my moderately short 23" barrel. If I were attempting to run the larger bullets such as the 250+ I'd probably just stick with your proven SS case. I want the horsepower in a short package with this one though gun) Should carry a ton of energy out to 400-500 yards and leave a devastating hole.

I'm not going to shorten the case. If anything, I may shorten the neck to 7mm WSM dimensions to increase capacity. I'm not trying to fire anything heavy for this caliber, just looking for a good middleweight 200-225 grain bullet that will give me 3000' out of my moderately short 23" barrel. If I were attempting to run the larger bullets such as the 250+ I'd probably just stick with your proven SS case. I want the horsepower in a short package with this one though gun) Should carry a ton of energy out to 400-500 yards and leave a devastating hole.

Sounds good. It should accomplish what you are looking for.......Rich

Spoke with Dave this morning about details. I'll have a print of my potential round later today!
We're thinking a 44 or 45 degree shoulder, very little taper left in case, running at 2.100'' and basing it off the 7mm WSM case.

Ifind this rather interesting. If your going to wildcat the 7mm i hope the shorter kneck cgives you what You desire.

With all due respect wouldn't it be easier to get the same velocity with a non improved WSM case and a slightly longer barrel? The costs would be far less using standard dies and no blowing out of the cases, custom reamer etc.

But we all have to do what we want to do......

With all due respect wouldn't it be easier to get the same velocity with a non improved WSM case and a slightly longer barrel? The costs would be far less using standard dies and no blowing out of the cases, custom reamer etc.

But we all have to do what we want to do......

You are absolutely correct on all accounts.
It's definitely for me though. Personally, I prefer the shorter barrels and short actions. I also like the looks of the short magnums verses others, and the steeper shoulder angles.
I think I will be successful in achieving my goals of something with over 2 tons of energy at the muzzle and a large diameter bullet that's got enough steam to make it out to 450 yards and stay relatively flat =)

Last edited:
I got my my final print and gave a thumb's up on getting started on the reamer! =) Ended up taking a little more than half the taper out of the little WSM case, pushed the shoulder forward a bit more because of the increased shoulder angle and settled on a .250'' neck. H2O capacity on the fat little round should be in the high 80s and with the Wyatt's CFE-5 box, the bullet will extend less than a quarter of an inch past the neck with Steve's 220gr bullet he's designed. Just placed my order for the new action for this build. Going lightweight on everything :cool:

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.