my first build

rscott5028

I can't beleive the plan finally came together!

Here's a shot of the first rifle that I built.

I just completed it and shot today for the first time.

The first shot was to get on paper. The second was in the bullseye. The rest are shown below. Not perfect. But, it has potential.

I am very stoked to say the least.

Win Mod 70 Push Feed
Krieger barrel (from a Palma rifle with 900+ rounds)
I did a 1" setback and cut it back from 29" to 24"
Timney trigger
Coyote stock - second hand, needs bedding
EGW 20 MOA rail
Leupold 6.5-20x56 VX3L

I built this on my new Grizzly g4003g lathe. I also built the jigs to true the action and bolt.

Many thanks to everyone here for all of the pointers and assistance!

-- richard

Attachments

• firstrifle_0026.JPG
    firstrifle_0026.JPG
    160.2 KB · Views: 142
  • firstrifle_0035.jpg
    firstrifle_0035.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 137
I'm just about to start down a similar path.

I pick up my lathe tomorrow and then start work on setting it up and creating a few jigs for gunsmithing. Truing the action and bolt are high on the agenda, along with threading and crowning.

Given how much there is to learn, I appreciate how you must feel reaching this point. Well done. I can't wait to be in the same position.

Very nice!!!
Congrats for a well done job. You must feel very proud.
The groups look good too. Keep tunning it and show us your results.

Thanks for all the compliments.

It is truly a sense of accomplishment.

I still need to wrap this one up. But, I just couldn't wait to see some results.

I already have several builds in the queue with progressively higher stakes. I just thought I would start off with a used barrel, inexpensive stock, and a donor rifle that wasn't shooting so great to begin with.

To those of you considering the same path, it's not easy or cheap. But, you will be successful if you make a plan and commit.

Thanks!!
Richard

Nice work mate. It does look like it is going to shoot real good.
I did notice that you have your bi-pod down on the lowest setting . If it is a model with springs it will jump about . I find mine is more accurate locked into the firts notch and not bouncing on the springs.
Also I found that the swivel mounting system on a bi-pod was a slight source of accuracy loss as it can flex about with use and loosen the thumb screw. Might not happen to you but it did to me quite often .

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.