My First Build: In details

Nice read, so how does it shoot ?

Unfortunately Shooting is waiting until after archery elk. I depart in 4 days. Taking 3 weeks off to head to Wyoming. This Bull Tag is 5 years in the making.

We'll update sometime after that.

Well I lied and took this one out to the range.

Below are some targets @ 100 yds with loads of 42.5-44.0 grains of H4350 loaded into the land apx .010 with BR4 primers in new brass puching 130gr Berger Hunting VLDs. Circles on the target are HALF INCH.

Like I said in my opening post, I am new to LR shooting but not to shooting. What this says to me is that when I do my part I don't think this rifle cares what I feed it!??! That is unless someone with a little more experience can say otherwise.

I shot round robin, 3 shot groups with the 5 charges. Tryied to give the barrel some rest time, but it probably got slowly warmer all day. The 5 shot group at 43 was actually with culled brass during weight sorting. It was all on the light end of my lot, but was all within a 1 grain window.

No pressure signs on brass, not even at 44.5grains.

I was happy with the results, especially given the situation and my experience at this. Shooting was on a bench on a bipod and rear bag, and I didn't like the wood bench, a concrete top would have been nicer. Wind was mostly <5mph maybe a gust to 10 but I probably didn't shoot during any of those. About 80-85 degrees at 70% humidity. I only fired 2 foulers on a clean barrel. I shot through the chorno but haven't looked at the string details yet; ballpark it shot 2750 to 2880fps over the range of loads with my Pro-Chrono. I changed the bipod height between the 1st and 2nd groups and was more comfortable on the first, but that is relative as I am always uncomfortable on a bench being 6'6" on benches/chairs built for more average humans.

Comments?

Liberty: There is No Greater Cause |

Well the archery bow hunt was a success (see last pic below) so I am home and was able to take the LRI Creedmoor for another spin.

Shot a little better this time, was still doing "load development". The wind and my discomfort kicked up as time went on with the second target.

I was much happier with my own performance on this outing than the last. Those pics are in the previous post.

Since it appears this rifle will eat up and spit bugholes with whatever I put down it, I'm going to load the next 100 rounds (once fired now) with the 44.5g load. The other details are H4350, 130 gr Berger VLDs, BR4 primers, and apx to the lands at 2.087 at ogive with my comparator.

Any comments or ideas or something that should be learned from this that I haven't? I'm still 'new' to handloading and this precision game.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.