muzzle brake question?

I tried something again this morning. The fins of the baffles are angled toward the shooter. I ran a 5/16" end mill to about the center of the bore perpendicular to the bore into the slot nearest the muzzle. The vibration is gone, but the muzzle takes a dip of 6"-8". Now I will have to fiddle with some way to mitigate this.

I tried something again this morning. The fins of the baffles are angled toward the shooter. I ran a 5/16" end mill to about the center of the bore perpendicular to the bore into the slot nearest the muzzle. The vibration is gone, but the muzzle takes a dip of 6"-8". Now I will have to fiddle with some way to mitigate this.

Sounds like your top ports are two big forcing the brake/barrel down.

J E CUSTOM

Last edited by a moderator:
Very informative and fun video. Thanks for posting it.

I made a slide about eight feet long and ran some recoil test with different brakes and different loads. The difference between thick wall and thin wall brakes was very enlightening. Also, switching from light bullets to heavy bullets was a real eye opener.

Very informative and interesting video. You just don't have any idea what the different forces are doing to the stock and rifle until you can slow it down in slo-motion. Thanks for posting it.

The brake on the left is the vibrating offender. The other one is very pleasant and allows me to see the hits. Both have a hole about .020" over the bore diameter of .264". After I drilled the three holes it didn't vibrate as bad, but still is bad.

004_zpsaiqijfr4.jpg

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.