Muzzle Brake question

bigsampson

Guys,
I have a good problem.
I have a 338 LM, currently has a badger brake on it. Shoots very well. As a matter of fact, my 12 year old has no problem shooting it and can keep around 1 moa with little problem.
Thing is I just picked up another Rem 700 in 300 Ultra Mag. I bought a Muscle brake to tame it up a bit, ordered the 4 port slab side. I know it is probably overkill for this caliber, but would rather too much brake than too little.. Just picked it up from having the barrel threaded. Have not bored, timed or messed w/ the muscle brake yet, it is basically pristine.

Looking for suggestions on whether I should put the Muscle brake on the Lapua and move the Badger Brake to the RUM, or just stay with the plan and put the muscle brake on the RUM.

My two sons love these rifles. We have Rem Police in 308, 300 WM, and 338 Lapua, they call them Baby Bear, Momma Bear and Papa Bear. Haven't quite figured out what we are going to name the RUM yet.

Thanks
Hank

Changing your brakes around is sometimes easier said than done. Brakes come in all kinds of sizes and tpi (threads per inch). Most have a right hand twist, but some come with a left hand twist. Some brakes have been machined at the neck so that the seam is flawless where it meets the barrel (ie: the outside diameter of the neck of the brake is the same od as the barrel at the muzzle). Finally, most brakes are indexed. So if you are able to pull one off one barrel and have it fit on another, it probably won't index correctly on the new rifle. For my money - leave the brakes alone. They seem to be getting the job done.

Threads aren't an issue, they are the same.
Also, the Badger brake is easy to index and it doesn't have any mating issues w/ the barrel.

As far as indexing the Muscle brake, I can do that. That is kind of the point, Once I time the muscle brake to the 338, it is pretty much done and swapping around isn't an option any more. And, it "isn't getting the job done", it has never been shot though.

Neither of these are machined so they are "flawless" to the barrel. Obviously the Badger brake isn't and the Muscle brake is a big ole slab side affair. So, not an issue.

I guess what I am really probably trying to get to is which of the brakes is a better fit for the 338 LM. I'm not really interrested in swapping around. Am considering installing a new Muscle brake on the 338 LM and moving the Badger to the RUM. Is the Muscle brake that much more efficient at cutting recoil and therefore better suited to the 338 LM.
Thanks
Hank

I would think that the difference in the port size and length would favor the muscle break.

However you won't be able to tell much difference between the two.

I would install the muscle break on the 300 RUM and if you like it get one for the 338 lapua.

The 338 break has two large of a bore for the 300 and will not work very well.

I like a max Dia. of .020 over the caliber(.308+.020=.328 for the 300 RUM and .338+.020=
.358 for the 338).

So taking the brake off the 338 and placing it on the 300 RUM will make it inefficient.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.